The builders guide shows using a 3M Super Strength Adhesive to bond the rubber windshield trim to the windshield.  When I google 3M Super Strength Adhesive, all that showed up is 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive.  I purchased the 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive from a local supplier and found that while it does bond to the windshield, it does not bond to the rubber windshield trim.  

I'm now looking at using Seal-All but concerned with reaction it may have with the windshield due to having some acetone. 

What are others using to bond the windshield trim to the Windshield?

Views: 8358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tested two other products and found they both adhere to the rubber and plexiglas very well.  These are

- 3M 847 Nitrile High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive

- 3M 1300 Neoprene High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive

We have decided to use the 3M 1300 as it appears to have better outdoor environmental qualities.  I purchased both of these products locally at Aviall.  These products are HAZMAT and have a relatively short shelf life; mine expire in 12 months.  Each 5 fl oz tube cost around $17 here in Anchorage, but well worth it to me if the corner windshield trim stays put.

Another idea,

Went to my local auto windshield / glass replacement dealer.  Explained what I was trying to do - put in windshield on the CH 701 - he gave me several pieces of sample sizes to try.  The best explanation is that it is a "rubber" material with a cross section that has a sealing lip and then a small groove that has it's own sealant. Pushed the windshield into the groove, sealed the lip to the plane with grey  caulk and haven't had any problems in 240 hours.

I think that I might have put this up before in a blog.

Still grinning!!!!

Phil Smith

CH 70wonderful

Buhl, ID

Thanks Phil.  I'll search for your info.  

Not sure how similar the lower windshield corner trims are between a 701 and 750, but to get the lower windshield trim to lay flush against the fuselage, we decided to remove the inner wall of the groove, and use a fastener to pull it in even more.  Several people I have spoken with share being frustrated that the trim typically falls away from the sides.  Our search has been to find an adhesive that will not allow this to happen.  When all done, we'll post pictures of how we did it.

Looks promising.  Thanks for sharing.

I tested the DAP Weldwood recommended by Kenneth, and found after around 5 hours it was holding as well as 3M 847 and 3M 1300 did when set overnight. Like the 3M products, the DAP is also rated for -40 to +180 degrees. When comparing all other differences, the DAP seems to provide the benefits of both 3M products, but more readily available and much cheaper. Longer set time of all products may show different results, but for me the 3M 1300 and DAP Weldwood are looking most favorable.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service