I thought I put this thread in the open forum, as it applies to the Cruzer, STOL and maybe also to the 650.

I understand that Zenith designed the CH750 for engines with a weight of up to 300 lbs. I also understand that Zenith approves a max. gross weight of 1,510 lb, if the max. g-load is reduced to 3.8 G.

The Lycoming O-320 is around 90 - 100 lb heavier than a Rotax 912, but has at least 150 hp and is plentiful available.

Most Rotax 912 powered CH 750s are in the range of 750 – 800 lb. Adding 100 lb for the O-320, we’d be at an empty weight of 850  - 900 lb.

1,510 lb max. gross – 180 lb full fuel – 900 lb empty weigh =  430 lb payload

430 lb payload would still be fine. Since the 900 lb assumption for the empty weight also appears to be a little bit on the high side, I would expect the actual payload to be more in the area of 450 lb.

On paper, it sounds as whether an O-320 might be a feasible option, the performance should also be great. Besides of the amphibious 750 on YouTube, I am however not aware of any O-320 powered Zeniths.

Are there other disadvantages, besides of the reduced useful load? Will it become nose heavy? How does it fly?

The Titan X340 with 180 hp, a stroked O-320, should also fit. This is the engine which is used in the popular Cubcrafter’s Carbon Cub and the new Kitfox STi. Not sure, if the Zenith can handle the hp and X340 will probably exceed our budget anyway. Still, for discussion’s sake – this should be an awesome engine for a Zenith. Or not?

Oliver

Views: 4082

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I seriously considered the Titan X340 for my Zodiac, but ended up going with a Viking 130.

My intended mission was to use the Zodiac as a test-bed for the X340 in preparation for putting that engine in my other project (which is a few years from being completed).  Plus simply having a more powerful engine to fly behind in the meantime (which I accomplished with the V130, and without adding as much weight).

Information on "how heavy can you go" and "how big of an engine can you use" regarding the Zodiac seems to be rather sparse.  The 1320 lb limit is an arbitrary figure intended to comply with industry regulations at that time (which are less meaningful today with Basic Med) - and certainly many Zodiacs today are flying at greater weights.  How much greater is an open question........

Patrick Hoyt

N63PZ

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service