Welcome to the Corvair Engine Forum!  We invite our members with Corvair engines, and those interested in Corvair engines, to post their questions, problems, and successes here!  As there are multiple vendors for Corvair engine conversions, parts, and accessories, we can't refer you to a specific "official" vendor website.  However, your fellow members can likely refer you to specific Corvair conversion vendors relevant to your interest.

John

N750A

Zenith.aero Forum Moderator

Views: 2655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm ready to get going on a corvair engine for my 750 cruzer.  Been to 2 colleges to observe and learn! I'm leaning towards the 3300.

the stroker would certainly give a nice margin of safety for you.

the 3litre pulls my XL around nicely, it is a good match for the XL, your 750 being heavier the 3250 would be good idea.

My thoughts on your engine choice are patience, determination, and dont let anyone else assemble anything other than by your own educated hand or one of the corvair people.

My engine required a complete tear-down to the case and rebuild at 13hrs due to trusting the wrong people to do the right thing.

I can wholeheartedly endorse the William Wynne + SPA path if you are interested in a Corvair. What a fantastic and elegant engine! And made in the USA. You might have to wait a couple to three months for parts sometimes - other times quicker - so don't be in "on fire" hurry. Read the manual, understand the options, plan ahead and use your noggin. I purchased parts from other sources and was not as happy with the parts or service. My picture shows my break-in run this last fall. Ran beautifully! I hope to have my CH750 STOL done this fall. I built the engine first and then started on the plane. I would do it that way again. Mark 

Thanks John for creating this forum. I have a 2850 cc corvair ready for my cruzer. Just need to finish the build and mount it up.

Wow! You have come along way from the South Carolina builder workshop! Congrats!

What made you choose that vs the UL 330 is?

Thanks John for creating this forum.  I purchased the Azalea Aviation 120 HP Spyder engine kit and promptly went up to Adel , Ga. to build and test run the unit which is now installed in my Zenith Cruzer.  Excellent re-engineering of the original designs since the alternator in this offering is integrated into the rear of the crankshaft.  This makes cowling much easier than other designs which mount the starter ring and alternator on the front side of the engine.  Very powerful on the stand and everything is new except the block, re-conditioned heads (with SS valves) and re-conditioned distributor which features both primary electronic and points with dual coils added for redundancy.  For those who are not aware the GA industry relied on air and/or water cooled aspirated engines for over 100 years.  My philosophy was the KISS principal as a first time builder.  In the final analysis it seemed that running an auto conversion engine at 6000 + RPM through a reduction unit made no sense to me.  The Spyder is obviously a direct drive unit with 6 cylinders, so if one goes out in flight that engine will keep running where a 4 cylinder engine will not do so.  An added slide valve carb. requires no carb heat whereas more complicated float valve carbs do require carb heat.  

Sincerely,

John Minatelli 

Attachments:

What are your cruise ' max speeds and fuel usage ?

Hi John, can I ask where you mounted your oil cooler?  I'm switching from a WW to a Spyder with a Rotec TBI and am not yet sure where I can mount the oil cooler to stay out of the way of the airbox, but still get airflow for cooling

Thanks John!

The Corvair engine is a good choice for aircraft use. I built one with the assistance of William Wynn's videos and builder's class. If any one is looking for a cleaned engine block with studs and/or a nitrided ground crankshaft , let me know as I have an extra set.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service