I am getting ready for DAR and I went on the scales for the first time today. I drained the fuel in climb attitude and put it on the scales.

The fuel flow test using Viking mini-header tanks was 26.5 GPH on the Pilots side, and 25.9 on the passenger side tank. Well above a safety margin over maximum takeoff flow rate.

I had seen jan's post about the 750 where they replaced a IO200 with a Viking 130 with a W&B of 857. I was hoping to come in somewhere around there.

Well, not so much. I have paint, IFR Panel, interior, heat & defrost, center console, 2 axis AP, backup EFIS and two Lithium batteries. 

Weighed in at 946lbs!  240 on nose wheel when leveled. CG is right in there but for the weight, Ouch. My son and I already lost a bunch of weight (80 lbs total) to get to enough fuel and baggage for camping in the plane.

Now we need to get to just over "FAA standard passenger" weight to both fly my son and I and enough fuel and baggage for a caping trip. I am 6'1 and he is 6'0 so it might be a bit of a challenge. 

Does this seem about right? 

Jonathan

Views: 934

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you basing your weight on 1440 or 1320?

I am intending to register at 1500. I talked to Roger at Zenith and with the new Cruzer kit, and the CG range I will have, while it will drop the ultimate Max G's down a bit, it should be safe and it is in the builders discretion to register it that way. I would rather register and test it that way then cowboy it like I have seen some do. If you start breaking the rules, then when you do your W&B you are either always facing that decision, or avoiding facing it and not doing W&B calculations. I like to sleep at night.

That sounds about right. My Viking 130 Cruzer came in at 888lbs empty and I have no paint yet, lightweight carpeting, dual header tanks behind the baggage area, minimal avionics(dual lithium batteries), and Viking cabin heat. I registered at 1440, but probably should have gone 1500 also.

Steve

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service