I am looking at video cameras to mount (probably on the wing strut) on my 701. I have had a GoPro 3 for years. I now use it inside the cockpit and have had good luck with it, but want to add a second camera outside. I would like to be able to control it with my phone through WiFi or Bluetooth.

Should I stick with the GoPro brand? (if so, are the new GoPro's much better than the 3 or 4?)

What video camera are you guys using?

Battery life?

Likes/Dislikes?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. In case you missed it, here is my latest video from the GoPro:

https://youtu.be/PvjQbAo-5M4

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Garmin VIRB X/XE Aviation package.

I love mine.

I bought 8 extra batteries.

The battery will last about 45 mins.

It comes with a  lens you can place on camera and shoot thru the prop without any blur.

Only dislike is the $$$$$.

I have a Go Pro on the wing, VIRB in the cockpit and I'll add another vote for the VIRB, it gives you all the in-video gauges for speed, height, map etc that you can super impose onto the video.

That said, if I was buying from scratch I'd buy a pair of cameras (I believe Trent Palmer uses a bunch of Sony action cams) that can be controlled at the same time with the app - that way you can start them all together which makes syncing them during editing a breeze. 

Jon Croke (of YouTube Homebuilt Help fame) has a Tip of the Week video entitled, "Aerial Videos: Choosing a Video Camera for your Experimental Aircraft" that you may find helpful. 

-Mike

Hello Jon,

I have a GoPro only, and a friend has the VIRB which I really like. I would go with  Paul Sanders  recommendation since the GoPro on the wing is easily controlled via your iPhone, and the VIRB is really nice inside the cabin if you want your gauges as input.

Jim

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service