Online Community of Zenith Builders and Flyers
Sorry I haven't posted lately but this has been a crazy year. But I guess that's not news to any of you.
Anyway, I did decide to go with the AM 15 engine. As I mentioned in my first post, my Jabiru 2200 engine failed me while on a trip about 400 miles from home. Rather than rebuild the engine which has given me nothing but trouble since day one, I decided to install a new engine. I did decide on the Aeromomentum AM 15. I went all-in with the complete installation package except for the cowl. The mechanic that's doing the work for me feels he will be able to use the original cowl. The engine arrived the first week of October along with the other firewall-forward components minus the prop. Delivery was right at the stated 60 day lead time. The prop was backordered and it looked like several months before it would arrive. As a "Hail Mary" I called Mark and asked if he was aware of any other customers that might have ordered the prop I need who may not be requiring it for a while. Maybe we could arrange a trade. While we were talking Mark said he was initially unaware of anyone but in the background I could hear Lili say she might be able to help. Mark said he'd call back in a while and let me know. About 15 minutes later he called back and said they had contacted another of their customers and made arrangements for him to ship me his prop in exchange for future delivery of my prop to him. This was all at no cost to me!! Now that's what I call customer service.
Current status is that the installation could be complete by mid-January if all goes well. I will take numerous pictures of the installation when complete and report on the initial test flights. The plane is in Wisconsin so flights in January may be iffy. Might have to wait until warmer weather arrives. If all goes well I will also share the name of the shop doing the installation.
Sounds great Mike! Sounds like it might be a quick turnaround.
Hi Mike, any updates on how you're liking the AM 15 engine?
Lots of activity since my last post but most of it simply involved with relocating my plane back to my home field. The mechanic that was doing the install for me came down with some significant health issues, including Covid, and he decided to close up shop. I rounded up some assistance , and a trailer, from a good friend of mine and we transported the plane back to my home field here in southern Illinois about a month ago. Since I hadn't planned to do the install myself, I didn't exactly hit the ground running. In addition, since the plane had to be trailered down the highway for 400 miles, wings and tail feathers had to be removed so the reinstallation of those components has occupied the majority of my time since I got it back here. Wings and tail feathers are now reinstalled and I am currently working on the fuel system.I've also been spending a significant amount of time just studying the installation manual. Did I mention that I hadn't planned to do this myself? Anyway, I installed the previous engine myself so It's just a matter of time and persistence.
Ian's encouraging words about a quick turnaround will unfortunately not come to pass but I'm plodding onward. I'll post pics when there's something interesting to post. The maze of wires in the wiring harness is boggling me at this point.Quite a difference between a computer controlled, fuel injected liquid cooled engine and the Jab I had installed before. I did decide to go with the Aero Graph plug and play engine monitor rather than rack my brain trying to make my 2006 era MGL Stratomaster my primary engine monitoring instrument. I'll still use it for airspeed, VSI, oil temp, oil pressure and coolant temp though.Updates will follow.
Good work Mike I have finished installing mine and it all seems to have gone smoothly enough Mark is good to discuss any queries with. the Aerograph is really the best thing its truly plug and play.