Hello all,
I've been on the 650 forum for some time now getting ideas in preparation of building one. However due to time constraints I've decided to postpone by build for a couple of years. I do need to scratch that Zenith itch though and am thinking about buying a Tri-Z.
This particular one has been completed in 2006 and was started by one individual and finished by another, the seller. It has been hangared and looks well maintained. It has been built with a nose gear. I have a few general questions that some of you may be able to help with:

-What kinds of specific things should I be looking at in the prepurchase inspection?
-Does the recent AD regarding the horizontal tail inspection apply to this model?
-What are the flight characteristics of this model as it is an older design?

I'd like to hear some of your guys thoughts and feelings on this type as I don't have much familiarity with this design.

Cheers and thanks again,
Brian

Views: 2317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Brian,

Q. Does the recent AD regarding the horizontal tail inspection apply to this model?

R. NO, Only applies to CH6xx/CH7xx models. The CH2xx/CH3xx has an ALL FLYING STAB completely different.

Q. What kinds of specific things should I be looking at in the prepurchase inspection?

R. Things to check on the airplane :

- Main landing gear suspension (plastic 'pucks' wear)
     - front landing gear suspension leak
     - Upper engine mount brackets (behind firewall - cockpit side)
     - Flap mecanism and control cables
     - Rust of the wing spar an tail brackets/supports 
     - Get/keep the PLANS of your plane in a safe place ; you may need them.

Q. What are the flight characteristics of this model as it is an older design?

R.
The TRI-Z, you refer to, are older designs from the Zenair family.
They included the CH200, CH250 and CH300.
The CH2xx were 2 seaters side-by-side and the CH300 was a 4 seater.
The main difference from the CH200 and CH250 is the fuel tanks location;
fuselage for the CH200 and wing tanks for the CH250.

These planes were on the HEAVY side; 1800lbs gross for the CH2XX but
they were VERY STURDY (aerobatics capable). For the CH2XX, engine ranged
from 115hp to 160hp. With the 115hp engine, the CH2XX was somewhat
underpowered but with the 150/160hp it was a pocket rocket !

The CH300 was powered by a 150/160hp engine giving it a good performance
envelop. Top speed is around 140mph with a stall speed around 75-80mph.
I would categorize them in the CheroKee 140/160hp type flying.

Not difficult to fly but requiring some low-wing knowledge.
On an engine failure, the CH2XX is a BRICK and needs to be pointed
DOWN to keep the speed UP... Response is CRISP (roll) and it is a fun airplane to fly.

The CH300 handles low speed much better due to its longer wingspan, nice control response.

These planes are NOT SUBJECTED to the January Transport Canada mandatory stabilitor/elevator

check : they have an all-flying Stab design that has nothing to do with the CH6xx/CH7XX designs.

There is not much support for those planes any more (older designs) so be ready to get your hands

dirty if the plane requires replacement parts be made.

Get a good flight with the plane BEFORE committing to buy and get the owner to do an inspection with you.

That will tell you how that airplane was treated all these years...

I've flown a CH250 and know of 2 individuals that own a CH300, those were their comments.

If the price is right and the plane is too, why not ????

Regards,
Norm

Thanks Norm, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I hope to take a flight out to see the Tri-Z later this month and inspect it. Your comments will certainly help me focus my examination.
I'm hoping that it passes mustard as I'm getting excited to own an airplane again. I just wish it was a tail wheel airplane, but hey it's got wings!

Thanks
Brian

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service