Does anyone know which company produces 8 tow bar bracket that attaches to the front two bolts on the nose gear Fork. It appears to be a tube of 4130 chromoly attached to a bracket that bolts on. I'd appreciate anyone who can tell me where to purchase one of these.

Views: 998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know what model you have, but have you checked with Zenith?  I bought my tow bar from them as part of the kit. While not listed separately, since they sell the bar, they might sell whatever brackets you need separately.

I made mine out of conduit and painted it red looks and works great.   Cheers,,,,,,,,  Lynn

On my STOL 750, I have the rounded fork and towbar as depicted in your link.  The towbar is fairly light gauge metal, so you can't apply any excessive force or it will start to bend where it hooks into the base plate of the strut. (Especially with the big tire/big contact patch, be sure the tire is rolling before trying to apply much lateral force for a turn.)  I modified the towbar by cutting it in half and installing a sleeve so I can pin the two halves together.  This makes it really compact for storage and since it is very light, I routinely carry it in the plane.

At my hangar, I took a much stronger and longer pump handle off a defunct backpack sprayer and bolted a small pry bar to one end.  The pry bar was ground slightly more narrow so it fits in the slot on the gear.  I use this "industrial strength" towbar for routine use at the hangar.  (The yellow towbar is the Zenith towbar prior to modification):

John

N750A

You cant build one for thirty bucks, and it only takes an hour or less to install. Works great, and very light. measure accurately for your drilled holes

Gil
Thanks Gil, but there's a company that actually makes them for $30 and it would beat having to find the metal and weld it. I found the website one time and now I can't find it again under any category.

Call Zenith in Mexico, MO that is where I picked mine up. I was there for open house so I didn't pay shipping, not sure how much that would be. I also bought a 2 inch split coupling on Amazon. The reason being I always have trouble drilling holes in tubes that line up where bolts slide through freely. Take the split collar apart and place each half on a vertical & horizontal line +  place the flat edges each half on the horizontal line and mark the length of the half. measure the exact length, find center and place it on the + and mark the center on top of the half. Now find the center width wise and you will have the exact center of the collar. Center punch and drill both halves. If you now assemble both haves you should be able to slide a bolt right through  both halves.  If the bolt passes right through, then you can install it on your gear leg and use as a drill guide and eliminate a lot of measuring for angles &such. 

Gil

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service