I am assembling the nylon nose wheel bearing block for my CH 650.  I drilled and tapped the required four holes 1/4-28 for the AN4H-5A bolts.  "Somehow" I managed to strip out one of the holes.  Are there any recommended fixes, other than re-tapping for an AN5 bolt?

Jim Snyder    
CH 650    
Indianapolis

Views: 463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jim:  I anticipated this as well as the bearing ripping loose, resulting in a prop strike so I drilled all the way through the bearing and the support plate,  made a counter sink hole to accept the AN3 cap head so it didn't protrude and torqued 'em down.  I also changed the aluminum plate the bearing is bolted to for one of stainless cut by water jet, made it 3'' longer and  bolted it to bottom of fuselage.

My specs called for AN3, if your numbers are correct, I agree with ZAC that your upgrade to AN4 makes sense. Nonetheless I just took it a bit further.  A bigger more positive travel stop is not a bad idea either IMHO.  Brian

I am at this point in my build and will do the same.

Hi Jim:  Just noticed you are building a 601 while I'm building a 750.  Could be that my comments will not apply to your situation.  Please accept my apologies.  Good luck.   Brian

You could install a heli-coil

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service