The HomeBuiltHelp DVD's are most helpful in construction of the STOL CH750 to serve as a general guide to the construction process. However, this DVD series was filmed fairly early in the history of the CH750 and errors have become obvious. There are two common potential mistakes that STOL CH750 builders can make by over-reliance on the DVD's:

(1) The method demonstrated in the video to measure the trailing edge to flaperon support bracket distance is not correct. Consult Zenith's Photo Assembly Guide (Wing Skins 75-WA-2, pg. 14) and your plans for the correct method! Failure to do this correctly will result in a below-spec gap between the trailing edge of the wing and the flaperon. Remember, the plans are the final authority.

(2) The DVD demonstrates installation of the mixer bearing supports, but in the video, they are installed upside-down. The narrator remarks the mounting bolts act as stops to limit travel. This is not correct! Again, consult the Assembly Photo Guide (Flaperon Controls 75-CA-1) and your plans. When correctly installed, the bolt heads will not interfere with the tab on the mixer arm and not limit travel. Remember, the plans are the final authority.

These are two common mistakes that result in questions that pop-up occasionally on the forum. Of course, Edition 2 and 3 versions of the STOL CH750 have arrived since the DVD was filmed, so the construction process will deviate further from the DVD's unless they are updated at some point in the future.However, if anyone has other DVD corrections to report relative to Edition 1 or that is also in-common with Edition 2 and 3, please feel free to add them. Plan revisions are handled by updates from Zenith and are not the subject of this topic.

John

N750A

Views: 964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the fuselage videos, we are told to make sure the gear channel edge goes inside the rear fuselage, on top of the holes in the bottom skin. But in fact, it is supposed to go underneath the skin.

Same video has the location of the seat base wrong, if you follow the video you will find the seat base will be about 10mm higher than the lower baggage compartment and the two will not fit together.

I second this observation

Just found out the version 3 rudder is very different in the DVD. Drilled the holes in the spat reinforcements wrong and had to re-drill. The reinforcements align with the end of the spar, they do not go past the edge by 3cm. The rib with the bellcrank has a shorter flange on it now to accommodate this change and is what tipped me off... I'm not sure that I will Purchase the DVDs going forward as I don't trust them now and ill just end up going to the assembly pictures anyways.

Another area where the DVD would differ is the top part if the cockpit and the inboard wings as that design has changed.

Mike

One more, in the video for the main gear Jon says that the distance between the gear fitting studs are the same front and back but in later versions of the plan these are not the same and should be measured separately.

Any new discrepancies found for edition 3. I have completed the tailplane and slats. Starting on flaperons and wings soon. Aside from the rudder issues already mentioned I haven't noticed anything so far.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service