I am setting up the controls for the flaperons. With the flaperons centered when the stick is centered and the bellcrank parallel to the mixer rod I find that when I have 13 degrees of up travel then I get 17 degrees of down travel on the opposite aileron. That doesn't seem right to me when I think about adverse yaw. Am I missing something? I was expecting that when one goes up then the other will go down the same amount. Thanks for any help in this.

Views: 544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David,

Have you seen the following topic under the Stol 750 forum? The large print is due my copying the title. Just do a search on this topic if you have not already read it. It was a real aid to me when I adjusted a set of flaperons last week and may answer your question. After following these step-by-step instructions my travel matched. The only negative was I just about used up all my adjustment on one of the vertical rods, remember to run a wire into the witness hole on the swivel to verify that you meet safety specs for remaining threads.

Ralph

Sequence to a successful flaperon adjustment

Thanks, I am having trouble with it letting me in to that forum but I will keep trying.

David,

I sent you a friend request. I believe that I can send you a copy of the flaperon setting sequence as either a screen shot or attachment. My first experience of setting flaperons involved days and much frustration, with step-by-step aid, a few hours. As David B. Suggested, do not hesitate to mark-up side of plane with sharpie or tape. I used a string looped around the flaperon pivot point on fuze to extend arc past window to make measuring arc easier.

Ralph

That is very kind of you to do that. I have had a couple of days away from the plane but hope to get back to it. We had a bad wind come through north west Indiana and I lost a tree and it pulled the power line away from the house. It made for some interesting moments trying to cook for company yesterday. I found a post from Blaine Schwartz titled " Sequence to a successful flaperon adjustment" It is a 14 step sequence and I am sure it will be helpful. I was able to get about half the tree off of the power line today and I hope to start repairing the damage to the house tomorrow. Thanks to everyone I hope to resume building soon. Sometimes life gets in the way of having fun.

David,

Sounds like you have the flaperons under control, that was the procedure I was referring to. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask, having mounted flaperons very recently I am still familiar with the pain involved. Good luck with your tree and power line.

Ralph

If I were doing it again, I would fabricate the control rods with adjustable rod end bearings on both top and bottom.  Adjustment would be cinch to match.  Otherwise, what Ralph gave you.  Two people make it easier and I found that taping and marking travel reference marks on the side of the fuselage helped with adjustment tweaks.  Good luck!

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service