Here's a video link to my first taxi test after installing the Steel Spring "Bungee" Mod from Viking on my 601HDS.

Steel Spring "Bungee" Taxi Test

Don Honabach

N601DX

Views: 395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice video!

Thanks Chris :-)

don reading about your final bungee setting today, do you still have as much "bounce" going on?

I have my steel bungee set hard since ive only got 6 1/2 " prop clearance , afraid to loose er up. I have difficulty with rudder in flight as you've described

Christopher,

This is off memory, so ... :-)

The steel bungee has two different settings.

The first/primary one is set using the two outside threaded rods and controls how stiff the gear in general.

The second one is the middle rod which controls how much spring tension is applied when the nose wheel is off the ground (i.e. flying). 

The big mistake I made was not fully understanding / properly adjusting the tension for the second one. This resulted in way too much force on the bottom gear support plate when the wheel was off the ground. Ultimately, it resulted in a rudder/wheel that was extremely difficult to turn while flying. At first, scarily so. On my first test flight, I'm really glad there wasn't any major cross wind that would require a lot of dancing on the pedals, etc.

Jan should have instructions on setting the tension properly for when the wheel is off the ground. The bad news is you'll have to jack up the plane or similar to make the adjustment. Once you have the wheel off the ground though, it's a piece of cake. It does help to have a second person. This way you can adjust the middle rod/bolt while they turn wheel by hand. Essentially, if someone can grab the front wheel while it's off the ground and turn it easily, then your set. Until then, you adjust the middle bolt. 

FYI - On the middle rod, you'll move the bolt downwards on the threaded rod to loosen the tension that the bottom gear plate sees when the wheel is off the ground. You may find that you run out of thread before you get the tension where you want it. In that case, you'll need to add some washers/spacers on the middle threaded rod.

After you are done. Keep an eye on the spring feel/tension and make sure the stiffness is where you want it with the wheel on the ground. I believe (and this is from memory) that by decreasing the tension so the wheel/rudder turn freely in flight will slightly increase the tension/stiffness overall. Which in your case might not be a bad thing but just something to consider.

Don

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service