I have a question to the members who are using the Rotax 912 uls engine with the new soft start modules from Rotax. Are you using the standard starting method by using the standard cessna switch,L R Both,Start or do you use a seperate starting button/switch when starting?

Lookin forward to your input.
Johann G
Iceland
Z 701

Views: 1543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I forgot what maintenance procedure it is, but there is one where you can't do it easily with the L R Both type switch. I have a separate starting switch along with separate L R ignition switches. 

Jim

Hello James.
Thank you for the reply. I know that the soft start module from Bully Hawk requires a seperate start button, but I was not sure if the new modules from Rotax required that setup. I did add the wires from the violet wire in the 6 wire connector, which is connected to the starter selenoid and from there to the ignition switch. I hope this will work, but needed to know if anyone has done this hookup before?

Thank you.
Johann G.

I have the L-R Both, key switch. Swapped out new modules, (6 pin). Nothing else needed or changed for my bird. Pat

Hello Pat.
Thank you very much for the information. Are you also starting with the same switch?

Johann G.

Johann, Yes, same stock switch that came with the kit. All my wiring is the same, I didn't change anything except the modules out. I most likely only had one bad unit. At certain times and temperatures the plane would not start. To check bad modules, heat them up warm to the touch with a hair dryer or paint gun. If the plane then starts as normal, one is corrupt. If heat does not do it, then you go the other route and put a bag of ice on the modules, then try a start. If either temperature change works an a start is achieved, you have a bad module. Changing anything else in the ignition circuit shouldn't be needed. Thx Pat

Thank you Pat.
Really appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Johann G.

Hi Pat

I am wondering if your LRBoth switch uses just one of your ignitions during start or are you saying you have a soft start on both ignitions?

I put a soft start on my L ignition and just use the individual L mag switch during start. I previously had the LRBoth and didn't see any way to make it just use the L mag for start but I didn't look at it very hard atall...just changed out the switch.

I can't really tell any difference in the starting on mine with the SS. But an EarthX batt made all the difference. Best thing I ever did to this plane

Joe

Hi Joe,

When the key in the  switch is turned all the way to the right, Full juice is applied to both modules. Then a check of left and right is performed at some point before take off. The Rotax U/L wont start on one module with the (keyed L-R Both) system if one of the modules are bad. I was advised by the techs, that I could switch my ignition to individual switches perhaps similar to what you are using, which would at least tell me witch module was bad. But the fact that I could heat up the modules and get a start, implied a bad module. So I switched them both out at that point. CPS In California can bench test modules. We have LEAF here in Wisconsin. I also see no starting/running difference with the new modules. But my bird starts instantly, always has, even with the old modules before one went bad. If you have a module start to go bad, the first thing you think is Fuel issue. The modules are just about the last thing you would think you have to look at on a no start. Anyway, hope this helps someone, it was hard to believe one was bad. Yet the techs an Rotax new right away all about this issue. Both  modules are soft start now. thx Pat

Hi Joe,

If you had the ACS switch (LRBothStart) then it is possible to wire it to have only the L mag on during Start. I might just do that now on my plane (poor man's soft start). It requires the addition of a solid jumper between two adjacent terminals on the switch. This grounds the right mag during cranking.

Hi Johann,

I have the the Rotax 912 ULS with the soft start activated. The ACS L/R/Both Start switch works fine. You just need another 2 wires from the Rotax Start Relais (Start wire) to the 2 dedicated inputs at the plug of the 2 Rotax Ignition Modules. When you start then the soft start will be activated also.

Michel

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service