Hello there! Currently in the constructing process of my zenith-701 and I am seeking some advice to secure (pound) the soft solid rivets on the elevator trailing edge.  For these small soft rivets do I require a bucking bar, hammer riveter and air compressor?  Or can they be secured in another manner-cheaper method?  Any response applicable would be appreciated. Kerry

Views: 586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kerry the Tatco squeezer I have came with several different size interchangeable heads, cupped and flat, and for those tiny soft trailing edge rivets I used the smallest cupped size.  Zenith provides plenty of extra rivets in the kit so I practiced a few squeezes on a piece of scrap.  

Okay, thanks

Kerry M

Brown Tools is a great place to buy tools such as a rivet squeezer. The owner will often reply to your questions directly about quality of tools and such.

There is a form question on setting these solid rivets without causing a wavey trailing edge, it might be worth a read. Setting these rivets is a breeze once you dial the squeezer in to the right clearance to give you the right diameter of shop head. Be sure the factory head is seated and the trailing edge skins are clamped well, cleco every second hole and squeeze between them. Even these soft solid rivets can be a pain to drill out.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service