Hello fellow builders, I have concluded my wife and I are both too short to get in and out of the 801 we’ve built. Any one designed and built a steel step attached to the gear and gear weldment? Please and thanks, Bill

Views: 332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Somebody out there in airplane building world has to be as short as us and built a side step. Please share your most useful and brilliant design. Thanks, Bill 

For a basic design idea, look at fixed gear Cessnas. Almost all of them have a gear leg step of some type. Cessna has used a few different designs over the years and most likely you could "borrow" one of their designs and make a similar step for your plane. The gear leg step on my 1958 Cessna 175 also uses the bracket for the step as a mounting bracket location to hold a clamp securing the brake line as it goes down the back of the gear leg on the way to wheel brake. Anytime you can have one part perform two functions it's a good thing.

While I'm not the original poster, I'd like a step as well. Unfortunately, on my cruzer, the main gear leg is basically behind the seat, such that any step up would require one being quite limber to swing the leg that far to go in the footwell. My 172 had the main gear leg/step right at the seat, so was quite convenient.

Thanks fellows for the ideas. If I come up with a viable design I will post it here if the forum will allow it. Bill 

I installed simple low drag stirrup type steps to my airframe. Perfect geometry for getting in and out. Stone simple to make and attach see photo .

Thanks Sam for the photo and rely. I think I want something similar to the step on my RV-8a. Solid and strong.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service