I updated the U.S. aviation database in my Aera 660 GPS to get the boundaries of the new SFO Bravo airspace on the map. For VFR pilots in the S.F. bay area it's a major update with quite a few benefits including transitions and flyways on the TAC chart now. Instead of the familiar upside down wedding cake concentric circles, the new Bravo has lots of straight lines with a bunch of new visual waypoints where the straight lines terminate/intersect.

It's definitely going to take some getting used to.

Views: 579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holy confusion, batman! Could they have made it any more complicated? 

On the positive side, I guess the straight lines may make it a little easier to navigate for some, as opposed to the curves of the circles. 

Another positive, Gary, are the VFR transition routes and flyways incorporated into the revision.

Looks like all the VFR transition  routes are labeled ATC clearance required.......

Don't know if that helps....

Jim

The FAA's explanation for requiring ATC clearance is that because there are three international airports in such close proximity (SFO, OAK, and SJC) and lots of terrain, it's not practical to have VFR corridors without talking to ATC like they have at LAX. I'm always talking to them anyway and don't see it as a big deal.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service