Real world Viking 130 performance posted here

SAMPLE ONE

From a recent topic:

"I'm looking for real-world impressions from the guys who have experience with bigger engines in the XL/650 line" and "I'm wanting to see if I can set the bar a little higher..."

Well, here it is from a recent CH-650 Viking 130 adaptor:

"I've also recently noticed a trend for "down trim" required above a certain speed, and which increases as speed increases.
(approaching Vne in level flight for testing purposes only, and which are speeds that my previous engines were unable to attain).

The aircraft takes a different "stance" when tested above about 145mph"

Those that have flown the 650 know that only a very powerful engine can bring the airplane above 145 in level flight without wheel pants / speed mods

Views: 2987

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Viking powered Zenith Aircraft have traditionally been at the forefront of the available performance.  So much at times that some say it is too much?  Reality is that you only use the power you want.  

150+ mph in a Zenith Cruzer with Viking power

160 mph ground speed in the Zenith CruZer with Viking power

Fastest CruZer in the world has Viking engine

One of the worlds best STOL aircraft use Viking 130 power

Viking 110 also pulled the 750 into the air good

HOW ABOUT THE REAL LIFE FUEL FLOW - FLYING AN ACTUAL TRIP?

HERE IT IS:

REAL LIFE FUEL USAGE

FES (Festus) and the total distance to X50 (Massey Ranch)  was 840 statue miles.  Stopwatch has been started to document actual flight time.
Viking View showing typical numbers.  (Fuel PSI is 44, not 144) 
Indicted airspeed was between 125 and 130 mph the entire flight
100 miles into the flight.  
Perfect day for an accurate performance estimate.  Some headwind, some x-wind and a little tail wind at the end.  All below 5 kts 
First and only fuel stop was at West Georgia Regional airport.
Total flight time 3.5 hrs.  (7:30 am to 11 am)
West Georgia fueling
24 gallons in 3.5 hr equal 6.85 gallons / hr, producing 105 hp and 80 % power.  Distance covered = 405 miles for an average speed of 115 mph (Including climb and headwind for this portion of the flight)
Not a lot of money to travel half way home
Leaving West Georgia Regional
Leaving at 11:30 after exactly 30 minutes on the ground.  Another 405 miles to cover.  Tanks are full again and climbing out at 90 mph
Making good speed 
Total flight time second leg from West Georgia to Massey Ranch is 3 hours fifteen minutes, using 20 gallons of fuel (6.2 GPH) with an average speed of 125 mph.  
Not a bad flight.  Left at 7:30 am and landed at 3:45, loosing one hour to time change and another half hour for refueling.  Total flight time 6 hr 45 minutes, using 44 gallons / $150 of fuel.  

Hi Jan & All

Just saw the pictures & video, looks great, thanks

Along the trip I jotted down a few details. First one was just after leaving X50 and the last one was after leaving KTBR.

RPM 4650 4620 4620 4620 4620
Temp 218 213 212 210 219
Gb-T 129 124 127 131 120
Oil-P 69 70 70 70 71
GPR 5.2 5.0 4.8 4.7 4.9

Seems to be running quite stable, airspeed was around 120 with 150 ground speed.

Thanks again for a great week, you have a special group of people there.
Look forward to see you all again at Sun-N-Fun.

Tom

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service