Is there a name for drilled out rivets / rivet studs / fasteners that end up trapped in inaccessible areas like wings / horizontal stabilizer / control surfaces and rattle around when you taxi?

(I just started taxiing and discovered some rattles, would like to see the humorous side of this! Mark)

Views: 655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

FOD - foreign object debris is the official aerospace name for it. Seriously. I always end up with a few in there. I can usually get them out by tilting and shaking the parts prior to final assembly, but some always escape.

I like that! Now I can say "It's just FOD!"

On a more serious note, you kinda need to know what is really in there, and where it really is.

As an example, there have been numerous incidents over the years, on all types of planes, big and small, because something eventually ended up wedging into a control surface, cable, actuator, etc. and locking the controls. Nasty. You might think that a single rivet body from a drilled out rivet couldn't do that much damage, but that 3/16" bubble of compressed rivet is strong enough to resist human strength pulling on the yoke if jammed in a pulley or lodged someplace else.

Additionally, you might think that even small stuff can't do anything in the wing, but if you're running wires or a servo, or something else in there, and the connections haven't been adequately sealed with heat shrink tubing, a small twist could end up causing a short.

I'm not trying to be Donnie Downer here; just be diligent in trying to get the debris out during construction. I vacuum and blow-out all crevices, but I can still hear a faint sound when moving the parts.

I agree 100%

Mark,

This problem can be resolved very easily - just add "FOD' to your pre-flight checklist, check to make sure the rattle is there, and you're good to go!  ;>)

John

N750A

I created 3 FODS last night in closing up L wing for final time. Got 

one out and have plan for other 2. mice or termites 

might be good names as well.

I have a drilled out rivet in my elevator so every time I preflight I get to hear the rattle. I keep telling myself 'next time' I'll get it out but not yet so far.....

I created 3 FODS last night in closing up L wing for final time. Got 

2 out, 1 possibly 2 more to go.

Love it! Again, just trying to find the humor in an "Oh shit" situation.

I had a few of these when I finished up my 801. Made a point of it to get ALL of them. Mainly because I knew they would just annoy me to death every time I preflighted and heard the elevator rattle. The mandrels are easy with a magnet, but the aluminum pieces are a challenge. Keep at it. It’s worth getting free of them. Best tools for me were a magnet, a bore scope and safety wire with tape to make a sticky end.

With a magnet on the exterior you may be able to move the critters to a point from which they can be removed. I've had success doing this.

Del

If they are stems or heads off rivets, using rare earth magnets and a little ingenuity will get some out.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service