Q&A - Zodiac 601XL -650 for the latest upgrade drawings of November 24 2009

This Q&A is for the upgrade kit of the Zodiac 601XL & 650 based on drawings of Nov. 24, 2009 and AMD Safety Alert of November 7. 2009
http://www.newplane.com/amd_downloads/SAFETY%20ALERT%20November%207...

New drawings:
Nov. 24, 2009: We've updated the draft Drawings 6-ZU-1, 6-ZU-2, 6-ZU-3 and 6-ZU-4, and LAA Aileron Balance.

For very detailed questions (or if you must complain or vent), email me at newplane@gmail.com

Please post all your questions on the last page.

Views: 6320

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Martin,
Yes, these parts will be available. You will need to be specific when ordering them.
Thx for your very quick reply, Mat! By the way: I am very much impressed about virtually everything concerning the ongoing upgrade for our CH601XLs. Congratulations and a very big thank you!!!
Martin,
Thanks.
Hi Mathieu,
Will there be updated drawings available for the 650 in the future? (drawing set that includes all the the updates from 6-ZU-1...4)
I am scratch building the 650, just started
Thanks,
Joris
Joris,
Yes, we will update the 650 drawings to include the upgrade.
I have been studying the updated draft drawings and it seems there may be a labeling error on page 6-ZU-1 related to parts 6-ZU-1-4 and 6-ZU-1-5 in the exploded view.
Theodore,
Thanks, I will pass on the info.
This is a follow-on to Theodore's post, as I have a few related questions. Like him, I have been reviewing the drawings, determining what I must do. I may have found some gotchas, which I enumerate below. The first may be the same one he found:

Dwg 6-ZU-1

At the lower left. It looks like the callout in the box for 6-ZU-1-4 possibly should be 6-ZU-1-5. 6-ZU-1-4 gets referenced both as a vertical rib angle, and as a bottom angle. 6-ZU-1-5 is not referenced.

Dwg 6-ZU-2

6-ZU-2-5 The part description calls out a need for four shims. However, it looks from the end-on illustration at the right of the page as though shims may be required under 6-ZU-2-4 on both the front and back of the assembly. If true, then eight of these shims are needed, and an additional call-out on the front of the end view may be needed.

The callout in the middle of the dwg for 6-ZU-2-6 says in part: “...and add 5 degrees twist.” Maybe it's clear to everyone but me, but I'm not sure where this twist is. Is in in the inclination of the part fore and aft, left to right, or twisting the part itself anticlockwise or clockwise? Or ..?

Dwg 6-ZU-3

Callout at the bottom of the drawing for part 6-ZU-3-6 says only three of the seat angles are required. The orthogonal view near the top center of the drawing appears to show three installed under the right seat. I'd bet there are also three under the left seat. Does this raise the count of these parts to 6?

Dwg 6-ZU-4

Callout for aileron gussets at top center of dwg shows part #s 65W-5 and 65W-6. I'm not aware of the referenced drawings being in the XL dwg package. I assume these are in the 650 dwg package. How will this information be made available to XL builders/owners?

I'm still digging.....thanks for sharing the drawings with us prior to their final release. At least we have some idea which way to jump.
I have a concern (or don't quite understand) the addtion of the Bottom Skin Doubler (6-ZU-2-9).Not sure how this will fit under the 6B10-2 channel. Is the idea of this to doubler allow one to move the hole forward about .125, and will you just slip it between the bottom skin and the channel after pulling the rivets in this area?

Cheers
Matt
Matt,
The Bottom Skin Doubler 6-ZU-2-9 is added as the front spar rivet line on the floor will have to be moved forward slightly due to the 0.063 front bottom angle 6-ZU-2-8. So the oversized holes in the floor will be sandwiched.
Yes, 6-ZU-2-9 will go under 6B10-2 channel.
Jim,
Thanks for the info, which we will be addressing the final drawings.
Is there any long term corrosion concerns with using stainless rivets in the aluminum in the areas that specify SS rivets? Would it be acceptable to use solid rivets instead if someone chooses to?

Also I was considering making a new center spar out of .063 as some other people had mentioned. Should it be made out of .063 or.090? The current one will be .040+.063.

If either of these are acceptable options would it be possible for Zenith to put notes on the final drawings so people can say they completed the modifications per the drawings.

Thanks,
Mike

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service