Q&A - Zodiac 601XL -650 for the latest upgrade drawings of November 24 2009

This Q&A is for the upgrade kit of the Zodiac 601XL & 650 based on drawings of Nov. 24, 2009 and AMD Safety Alert of November 7. 2009
http://www.newplane.com/amd_downloads/SAFETY%20ALERT%20November%207...

New drawings:
Nov. 24, 2009: We've updated the draft Drawings 6-ZU-1, 6-ZU-2, 6-ZU-3 and 6-ZU-4, and LAA Aileron Balance.

For very detailed questions (or if you must complain or vent), email me at newplane@gmail.com

Please post all your questions on the last page.

Views: 6309

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

thanks guys; it was the ptt wire if that makes any difference
also my fuel hose feels alittle harder than it was originaly must be one thing that gets harder with age;I use only mogas definately no ethenol, has anyone else found this
When you said "shielded," I assumed the radio-antenna coax. I don't know that I've seen a shielded ptt wire, but if that's what it is, it's safe to splice.

I think all fuel hoses get harder with age. My experience with mogas (at least the mogas I used) was that it caused much more damage to fuel lines and seals than avgas. Are you using mil-spec fuel line, or plastic tubing?
thanks jim,my fuel lines are not plastic,they came with the kit ,i will use automotive hose it will be the best for the job
There is no simple answer to this. How many wires? What kind (some don't lend themselves to splicing, like coax)? How hard is it to disconnect and reroute?
Are the "L" angle stiffners on the aft side panels intended to be a part of the modification? They do not appear on the drawings.
I got the impression, from the way the factory guys worded it in this upgrade installation blog, that they kind of "threw in" the "L" angle stiffeners on the aft fuselage. The logic was sort of along the lines that they already have a bunch of unpainted rivit heads, might as well ad some more and make a slight improvement to the airframe, as long as they were at it. I do not believe it is part of the upgrade kit, but I could be wrong.

The 650 comes "stock" with these stiffeners and the factory has been saying for quite some time that it would be a good addition to the 601's as well. I guess they decided to follow their own adivice on the factory bird. My plane will be a taildragger, which stresses the tailcone a little more than a nosedragger does, so I think I will add them to mine.
Thanks. That's the impression I get also. A definite statement from Zenith one way or the other would be nice, though.
Jim,
Diagonal "L" angles in the rear fuselage are not part of the upgrade kit. However, they are part of the 650 kit and if you like, you can add them to the XL. They do stiffen up the skins significantly.
Now that the upgrade is done on the factory demo 601XL, I assume that you redid the weight and balance as part of the return to service.

What was the change in weight resulting from the upgrade? Did you weigh the aircraft immediately before the upgrade? Did the empty CG change?

Thanks, Terry
Thanks, Dave

That is just what I was looking for! Makes me wish I hadn't bought my nav lights back when I started working on my wings. Oh well.

But that brings up a related question. Has anyone discovered a way to search the Aero Zenith blogs and forums?

I have a pretty complete collection of posts to the Matronics Zenith-related lists. If I recall, e.g., "Wasn't there a post about riveting in tight corners a year or two ago," I can search my Matronics mailboxes with Eudora, and in a minute or two, I find your post from June 2008.

But I have not found a way to search the Aero Zenith site. Any bright ideas out there?

Terry
Terry,

To search, go to the top of this page and click on 'All Discussions". This will take you to a Discussion Forums page. Use the search box in the upper left corner. Type in keyword(s).

Seems to work for me.
What size rivet gun is best for setting the solid rivets. The charts at on ACS website say 3x will do the job, but I've saw some articles that say a 3x isn't big enough and will work harden the rivet instead of setting it correctly. Also what size bucking bar are people using?

Thanks,
Mike

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service