Q&A - Zodiac 601XL -650 for the latest upgrade drawings of November 24 2009

This Q&A is for the upgrade kit of the Zodiac 601XL & 650 based on drawings of Nov. 24, 2009 and AMD Safety Alert of November 7. 2009
http://www.newplane.com/amd_downloads/SAFETY%20ALERT%20November%207...

New drawings:
Nov. 24, 2009: We've updated the draft Drawings 6-ZU-1, 6-ZU-2, 6-ZU-3 and 6-ZU-4, and LAA Aileron Balance.

For very detailed questions (or if you must complain or vent), email me at newplane@gmail.com

Please post all your questions on the last page.

Views: 6320

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

An idea for consideration: Would there be any merit to splitting the upgrade kit into two parts, maybe one with the parts for the fuselage and elevator, and the other for the wings? I doubt most of us are going to tackle both the wings and fuselage at the same time; we might be able to make some progress if we had one set of parts or the other.

I'm sure this would create some logistics considerations at Zenith, and I don't doubt it would up the shipping costs. But I for one would be willing to pay a little extra if I could get started sooner.

Since I have no idea how rapidly Zenith can produce parts, it may or may not be a good idea. If Zenith can produce a full shipset of parts for everybody very rapidly, then the idea may be pointless.
Jim,
I think that Zenith is also looking into that. However, my understanding is that they are almost done all the parts for 500 kits.
Mathieu

Looking at 6-ZU-2-4 The spar uprights I have the dual stick option and I see that one set of the spar uprights is now where the uprights are when you install the dual stick kit. In essence my center spar had the four front uprights and just need the back ones correct??

Will I just use those uprights already made for the dual stick option over again??

On another note, you stated in an earlier post, we could use a .125 extrusion for 6-ZU-2-6. Before I removed them to get the center spar out one issue I had was getting the original uprights tight to the spar. They would pull down just fine with the bolts, but I had a devil of a time getting the holes right for the wing bolts. I was sure i was going to have difficulties getting the bolts in when I mounted the wings because of that. Upon examination of the removed upright I noticed that the reason it would not lay completely flat against the spar was that it had bent over bent by a couple of degrees. the plans called for 85 deg and my protractor said mine were 87-88. Not much at all but it was just enough to make the bolts hard to get through. I'm not sure if it should be this way, Are the bolts supposed to be so tight to make it difficult to get them through the spar upright holes?? I had to use a hammer to tap (hard taps) the pathfinder bolts into place and a hammer to get them out.

I would suppose the extrusion might eliminate that issue. or would it be a different issue since the extrusions are 90 degs??

Can / Should I even consider replacing any of the uprights with the extrusion?? and does anyone know of a source for this extrusion?

Larry
Larry,
Yes, with the dual sticks, you already have the front uprights. Just add the rear.

With 6-ZU-2-6 being an extrusion, it will be harder to install. However, we are adding 5 A5 rivets from the upright into the spar web, so the extrusion will be tight to the spar.

Having snug bots is the best. If too tight and you have to use a large hammer to put the bolts in, there is a good chance that the reamed holes will get damaged.

The only reason you would want to use the extrusion instead of the bent 0.0125 plate would be because you are making your own upgrade kit parts and cannot bend the plate.
To all,
I will be on the road for the next 3 weeks but will be continuing this Q&A. Please have some patience if I do not answer as quickly.
Thanks very much.
Thanks Got it Stick with the mod parts

Larry
Mathieu
this Q from the other closed list was your answer which stated to ADD the other uprights to the front spar
for the duel stick mod which is different from your current answer.

Mathieu
I have the Dual stick system I already have 2 spar uprights on the front spar box to support the flight controls at 288mm and AN4 bolts only at 189mm. Do I now need the other 2 inboard uprights at 189 on the front with a total of 4.?
Chris Sinfield
Australia

Reply by Mathieu Heintz on November 12, 2009 at 8:01am
Yes, you need to add the spar uprights 6-ZU-2-3, front and rear. Top and bottom are bolted, with rivets into the spar web.
Chris

My Center section came from the factory with two uprights at the 189 position (nov 2005) I added two for the dual stick mod at the 288 position However these did not have bolts that went all the way through the spar only the web and front cap

The drawings show now that the bolts go through with spacers inside. So apart comes the spar

When did you get your spars??

Larry
Larry
My Spars were made in June 2006 as per center wing spar drawings 6-W-4 of 10/04 My bolts at 189 position go all the way through but my Dual stick uprights at 288 are like yours and need to be drilled all the way through to the rear side and a spacer added, as it only clamps the front spar and cap. So in fact we need to add a total of 3 uprights I guess. Except did Mathiu said not to add the second frount ones or not at 189 position?
Chris

I think the reply from Mathieu to my question tells the tale we will need to install the 189 and the 288 front and back for a total of eight uprights 4 in front and 4 in back

My question was simply about re-using the one that already had the holes drilled for dual stick mounts

HTH

Larry
Chris,
To be 100% clear about the uprights, it is our recommendation that you need exactly what we have on the drawings. If you already have the upright for the dual stick with the holes in them, they are perfectly fine.
Matheiu

A question on the elevator

I've seen it mentioned by you and others that there might be an elevator mod. Are there draft drawings yet?? Will it be more than the L stiffeners around the trim servo similar to the aileron?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Larry

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service