This Q&A is now closed and replaced with a new Q&A based on the latest upgrade drawings at http://zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/data/6-ZU-NOV24.pdf

To all 601XL and 650 builders and aircraft owners. If you have a specific question regarding the upgrade, post it here and I will consult with Chris Heintz so that we can give you the best possible answer. Please be specific about your questions.

When posting a question or replying to an existing comment, PLEASE add it to end of the last page.

Zenith Aircraft is upgrading its 601 XL, so a lot of questions are answered on the step-by-step Blog Posts on this main page.

Views: 6318

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff,
Thanks for the info. Once you know how many aircraft you will be upgrading, let us know and we will send you the upgrade kits all together as to save on shipping.
Also, if there are 2 or more builders in the same area, we can ship the kits together.
Thanks.
Hi Mathieu
For the plans builder, will all the material be stock (example: the .093 extruded 6B2-3) or only available through Zenith? The plate on the spar root will make it thicker, and the spacers (6-W-4-5) will have to be increased? Will these be part of the upgrade kit? Will all parts of the upgrade kit be pre-drilled? Do we submit our names someplace to buy the upgrade kit and the upgrade plans?
Basically what I would really like to know is, will the upgrade kit include all the material required to complete the total upgrade? I am very lucky in that my spar has not been riveted yet.

You are doing an excellent job on keeping us informed of the changes. Hopefully we can all maintain the patience required to make this whole process go smoother for both Zenith and the homebuilder.
Keep up the great work!

Thanks,
Ron
Ron:

Many of the answers to your questions are in the archives in this blog. Please refer to those posts for answers.

I agree Matthieu has done an OUTSTANDING job of communicating to us kit, plans, and aircraft owners.

Regards,

Tracy
Sorry folks......my questions were already answered in previous posts. I finally learned how to navigate this blog thing..., so excuse me for being not being computer literate!!!!!.
Will start saving up for the upgrade plans and kit.
Thanks, Ron
Ron,
Upgrade drawings - plans are free and the parts will be sold at cost, hopefully less than $500.
I am building the CH 650 from a kit. I am ready to start on the wings, so I am in good position to incorporate the upgrades. It appears that a few items you are specifying for the 601XL are already in the original 650 kit. Will there be two upgrade kits? One for the 601 and one for the 650?

Jim Snyder
CH 650
65-7738
Ron,
The full drawings will be out in only a few days, so your question about material, spacers etc will be answered. Yes, the spacers will have to be thicker and yes, we are only using standard stock material.
The parts will not be pre-drilled as the spar holes are not 100% matched drilled.
The upgrade drawings - plans are free. Upgrade kit will be sold at cost.
Mathieu,

Can you tell me if I'll be able to pick up the upgrade kit from Flight Crafters in Zephyrhills, Florida ? That's where I got my QBK.

Thanks

Bill
Bill,
I believe that Zenith will be sending a bunch of upgrade kits to the different builder assist shops. I recommend you let Flight Crafters know that you want to pick up at their facility.
Hi Mathieu
I have uploaded some sketches of the simple drilling Jig I shall be making up.
I have not added any dimensions yet ,but once I have manufactured it I shall make the dimensions and photos available.
Those with experience removing long solid rivets may manage to do this task freehand ,hopefully this will
make it easy for those without any previous experience .
hopefully it will worked as planned.
Cheers
Greg
Greg,
I am sure there will be some out there that will appreciate what you are offering.
Thanks
Mathieu and the Zenith guys

I want to thank you guys for the hard work and the updates as to your progress with getting us flying again.

But I'm curious,

You said the drawings will be ready soon and that there are changes to the draft ones posted. If the drawings aren't done and the parts from these drawings haven't been made, How can Flight Crafters and AMD start modifying airplanes so soon?? I'm seeing a number of notes that they are ready to start.

I'm noticing some people jumping the gun and making parts on their own. Great that's what home-building is all about. But aren't you concerned that there is not gonna be uniformity across the fleet??? with the drawings still in flux and a number of un-answered details, I'm concerned about things spinning out of control and critical items missed by some and casting additional doubt about the fleet.

So, can you give us a ball park as to when the drawings will finalize?? I have done the prep work and have gained access to the areas we are gonna have to modify but I'm waiting for final drawings. I also would be willing to take the parts as they become available instead of waiting for the whole thing to be ready to ship Say wing mod parts first, followed by the center spar mod parts and then the rest (if any)

Larry Whitlow
601XL /Jabiru 3300

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service