Dale C. was selling his 750 Cruzer project and had a buyer for his airframe, but not the Viking firewall forward and 130 engine. I was not originally going to wait to buy until next fall, but having a willing seller, and a never installed engine at the right price, I took the jump and got it.

It arrived today. I still need to actually build the firewall to attach it too, so it will be a few months but I already got a head start and purchased the videos from John at Homebuilt Help.

In the meanwhile is there any maintenance that needs done keeping the engine in storage waiting for the installation?

Looking forward to that 140knot cruise at 3GPH!

Jonathan

PS. Just kidding, I know the that's more than the airframe will handle :-)

Views: 546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jonathan, if I read this correctly you just got the Viking 130 vice UL?  If so, the engine should be good a for years if properly protected from contaminates, but I'd confer with Viking or Honda.  

Before installing our Viking 130 engine, we kept the air inlet and exhaust covered, and keep a zip lock bag over the air filter until she's in the hanger (next week) with an engine cowl.   We had our 130 sitting for around six months before starting for the first time, and it started right up on AVGAS.  Knowing it still had another year before she'd fly, our initial run was using 100LL .  Also, because we do plan to use a mix of AVGAS and MOGAS, we changed the oil to a semi-synthetic blend which suspends lead better.   

By the way, regardless of type engine, before installing you might consider replacing the bungee with a Viking Spring.

Sorry to hear Dale C. Gave up and sold all that good stuff.

He helped me chose the Viking engine and even got me a deal from Viking.

Let me know if you need help with Viking but so far so good.

it ran the first time after sitting for a year and it is 1-2 month younger than Dale C’s.

I saw that Loren helped you and he is truly an Alaskan Viking Support Staff.

Terry Hall

Cool. I am working on the forward cabin right now, then the firewall so Engine install will likely happen this summer! Yeah, I was following Dale's builder blog, so I too was disappointed to see him sell it, but I was happy to find a mutually beneficial deal when he did. His mission changed and I think he flies a Piper Arrow now if I remember correctly.

Terry, I wouldn't call my suggestions or opinions as necessarily helpful, but do believe Viking engines do show great promise.  You and I have formed our own experimental aircraft support group of the blind leading the blind.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service