I wanted to share with fellow builders the advantages of getting you prop balanced. A well dynamic balance on a prop will save gas, prevent airframe damage, an help the engine in too many ways to list. I know the experienced pilots will know this already but for the guys that might not have herd of a dynamic balance. The prop is balanced on the engine while running at cruise power. The cost in my area runs about 150.00 an it is worth every penny. It is done to every plane in the fleet I work for, some of the pilots discriptions were "I can hear the engine but can't feel it any more". I'm running a warp drive and all the blades are weight matched but the prop still needed a dynamic balance. When a prop is dynamic balanced your balancing the engine also. If you want to get the most life from your engine/airframe it is a must do. Last thing, 1 outa 10 props dosent need any weight but I urge anyone who reads this to do it, the wear and tear on your aircraft will be reduced

Views: 412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, David!  I've got a Jabiru 3300 6-cylinder and a Sensenich carbon fiber GA prop, which always seemed very smooth with little vibration. However, I did a DynaVibe balance myself and found there was plenty of room for improvement!  Supposedly the limits of human perception of vibration are </= .07 ips.  I was able to balance my prop/engine down to a final result of .03 ips - now that is smooth!  :>)

John

N750A

Thank you for the suggestion. Just another thing to worry about but this build is a learning experience.

I personally think it's a must. It's as important as plugs an oil IMO. Want a cheap noticeable performance improvement, dynamically balance.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service