I have been scouring the internet trying to find an owners/pilots manual for a Zodiac 601 XLB built from plans gotten in Mexico, MO. I have found C601 XL, C601 UT, AMD 601, A European variant of the Zodiac 601 XLB that is nothing like the American variant, etc. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of an American built Zodiac 601 XLB?

Tim D.
N32140

Views: 587

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try the AMD built 601/650xl
I have one and I believe you can find it online
On the Zenith website
I looked at the amd manual. Some of the info is good. What I need though is valid weight and balance as well as density altitude calculations.

The only valid weight & balance info is the one for your particular aircraft, as built and equipped. You need to weigh the aircraft and compute the actual weight and balance.

Density altitude calculations are something I have struggled with. They don't exist, and I live in a high DA area. Finally this summer I just started experimenting on 95 to 100 degree days. I came up with a DA for my runway that I won't take off at or above. It's not a precise calculation or chart. Just a hard number with a lot of safety built in.

There are few things more terrifying than watching the end of the runway pass underneath you and your plane won't climb - and trees or hills fill your windscreen. It's a totally helpless feeling. I have been lucky to survive more than one such bad decision (not during my recent testing). 

I think this is one area of homebuilding that does not get the consideration it deserves - evidenced by the sheer lack of information available on the internet. By "lack of information" I mean how to determine your homebuilt aircraft's performance based in DA.

It's my understanding manufacturers determine their AC's performance charts by flight testing and interpolation. Yet there is little or no information the internet as to how this is done. Or at least, none that I could find.   

Are you saying you bought an aircraft and the owner didn't provide a POH? Or are you building one and are looking for examples?

The previous owner did not have one so I am building one from bits and pieces that I can find on the internet because from what I understand, it's mandatory to be in the aircraft.

Bizzare that he did not have one. You can't legally fly the plane without one. 

I've attached a copy of a POH for a 601 XL. This one was based on a lycoming O-235. Use at your own risk. Obviously, all weight and balance and performance numbers will be different for your aircraft. 

The word that you used basically describes the previous owner. He is of the FAA be damned crowd and did what he wanted. Unfortunately, I found out about a lot of this stuff after I bought the airplane and to get everything up to speed and in compliance with the FAA has cost me one hell of a lot of money. Its a buyer beware market out there apparently. Thank you for attaching the manual. Trying to get it to download so I can print it out.

The manual did not download. Could I ask of you to try again?: Thank you!

1. Tim - ive had problems attaching stuff on this website. email me at gaw.ebm at gmail .com and i will email it to you.

That sucks about the previous owner.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service