I finally terminated my two year search for an affordable (my definition of affordable was about half the price of a new one) “no stories” used engine or “refurbished” engine from one of the two companies I could find on the North American continent that offered such engines and ordered a new one through Zenith.  I will have to wait a few weeks as although the 100hp is in stock, there were no 80hp variants in stock at Rotec.  I think there’s a team in Austria building a new engine just for me!

Views: 546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats !  Its a great engine with proven reliability.

My CH601HD has a Rotax 912A series engine. Originally a 600 hr TBO still going strong at 1235 hrs.

My CH750 had the Rotax 912UL 2000 hr TBO engine.

Congratulations, my definition of affordable is the same, but I don't think you will regret going for a new one. Why take the chance on denting up your plane, or setting looking at a plane you have to spend that other half you saved to get it flying again after something unforeseen in the rebuild or timed out engine packs it in. 

Perry

Yes thanks, I knew this engine was the one I wanted for two person STOL ops in the 701 but man they are proud of these engines. The Dollar-Euro exchange rate doesn’t help any either.  

Hi Jim,

Be thankful you are using US dollars not its northern cousin the Cdn Dollar.

It's a perfect match, you will not be disappointed it will do all you want. That being said a few more ponys is nice to have at times. Now all you need to decide what Prop to use and pitch it for your liking and preference.Good Luck

Thanks Wayne. I’m leaning towards the Whirlwind prop and it will be pitched to climb! Going to make it bite until the most I can get is the minimum static engine RPM at full throttle then start from there.

I have never tried the Whirlwind Prop, I have 2 GSC Wooden Props, 1 Tapered Tip and 1 Standard Tip, and a Warp Drive Standard Tip.I prefer the Standard Tip of the GSC over the taper Tip. But the best is the Warp Drive for my needs and all around flying and performances. 

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service