Did anybody install folding wings? How do they work? Is there any point to use folding wings?

Views: 486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Eugene,

I hope you get some responses. There is some information in the Forums.

Perry

Hello Perry,

I have found that the wings are easy detachable so there is no any point to make folding option. Thank you.

I am installing the folding option. Since my 701 is still in the building stages I haven't folded the wings yet. But I modified the tube that the wings mount to. I made it removable because they mount it permanently right in the line of site of the pilot. It hangs just below the upper wing mount and runs across the width of the plane.

Jeffrey, thank you. Likely most I will install folding version.

Hi

I have it and used it once for transport from my house (where I built the plane) to the airport. If I was building a new 701 I would not install that option.

It may have been a good system for the early versions of the 701, but with the gas tanks in the wings it's not that good as you need to empty the tanks and some quick connectors in the fuel lines. In my opinion that ifs too much trouble to do between every flights to save hangar space.

Folding wings on a 701 is a two persons job, as removing them. The kitfox folding wing seems a much better system.

Why do you want to use that?

Regards,

Francois

Francois,

I have not taken final decision yet just thinking about different versions. Thank you.

My kit came with the folding wing option. Was considering installing it to avoid the expense of installing hangar doors. After looking it over and watching the video I decided if I had to fold the wings twice every time I wanted to fly (and find another person to help) it wouldn’t be long before I stopped flying. I bought the hangar doors and now I just push the plane out and go.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service