Views: 397

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is curious.  Hard for me to imagine the nut or bolt being close enough to interfere at that location, but we find all kinds of anomalies during our builds.  If accessible, I'd see if rotating the fastener or placing the nut on the opposite side would help?  Perhaps partial disassembly to access the fastener location will be needed.  Builders oftentimes add inspection/access covers to the underside of wings for this sort of thing.  After ruling out all other options, new rivet hole(s) next to this one may be fine.  Good luck in resolving.   

I used a steel screw to plug my hole, broke off, of course. Mark the other wing NOW to not drill out that hole, it will have same problem. There is another rivet with interference issues on each wing root. Both are discussed here on forum, somewhere. The one near the wing root hits a bolt or nut instead of the spar which you just hit. It is worth researching because you end up drilling and ruining a nut. I have it booked marked on my PC, but am on travel with only my tablet for the next week or two, so I cannot offer to look up a link. It has been a year since I had the same issues, still remember being a little vexed.

Ralph

N750RP

You can shorten the rivet:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=n2charlie&pr...

Note that when doing this you are simply filling the hole, the modified rivet has lost its structural integrity and you need to drill two new holes on either side, equidistant to the other rivets and add new rivets to maintain the proper structural integrity.  With my Cruzer I came across 2 or 3 locations where there was interference

Put the nut toward the front. Manually pull the rivet slowly. As the rivet becomes shorter push down into the hole.

Thanks Guys! This is a great place to get answers.
I ended up using Don's way and worked great! Thanks Don

if you push and pull the rivet slowly, because the rivet gets shorter as you pull it will seat properly when there was initially not enough room.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service