I never imagined how much fun this would be.   Couldn't be happier with the 3L Corvair/601 Combo.  Temps stayed in range through every maneuver.  Average of three tests shows a 900-1000fpm climb rate @ 80mph.  Trims hands off at all useful airspeeds (just a hair of aileron trim, but quite a bit of up elevator trim needed for slower speeds).  I've got an older kit with a very small elevator trim tab, and will need to increase its size in order to reduce stick forces when using flaps.

A special thanks to Buzzy Duvoll @ buzzair in Lawrenceburg, TN for teaching me how to fly the 601, and to each of those XL/Corvair builders who have posted their fine builders logs online for folks like me to enjoy.  I'm particularly grateful for the logs of Larry Winger, Dave Gardea, and Ron Lendon.  Very helpful, guys.  

https://youtu.be/7rHcSoKnqb0

https://youtu.be/RhvQxUvzus0

Views: 587

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing.  Great Job.  Very excited for you.  Can't wait to be there myself.

Brad

Awesome! Congratulations!

Question. Shouldn't the oil pressure be a bit higher? It looked like was showing below 40psi. What is normal on the Corvair? I have no idea, just asking.

I would like to see it slightly higher, but 37psi is the pressure set by the stock bypass spring. I am looking into replacing it, but am not sure if it is really necessary.  

Love the sound of the Corvairs from the ground and pilot seat. 

My 2700 holds 39psi oil pressure.  

Takes a long time for a grin like that to ware off.  Have fun.

Tim

Congratulations!  I appreciate the data.

Jon, congratulations on completion of your Corvair powered bird and the first flight!! Your engine sounds sweet fron the takeoff video and your pressures and temps look great from your flying video. Way to go! Enjoy the flying in your phase 1! Keep us all posted on your progress and keep those videos coming.

Regards,
Dave

Congrats from Idaho!

Now the fun starts.

Mack

Congratulations from Maine, I could watch your video a hundred times and it wouldn't get old!
Just moved my 3L 601 corvair TD to the local hanger to finish.

Yaaayyyy Jon!! I am jealous. I have a few years to go yet, life is slowing my build down a LOT. However, that means the Corvair has had time to mature, as has the airframe. Knock on wood it should be a fine plane when it finally gets done.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service