Hello, all. As some of you may recall I have from time to time mentioned my friend's 601XLB with Lycoming O-235. I also posted a For Sale listing a while back that generated some interest but not a sale. Dave actually had several handshakes but then the guy's wife would not allow the deal or something else came up. He wants the hangar space and does not want the plane. It is on Ebay and the highest bid gets the plane, no matter how obscene the price -- it WILL leave his hangar. Dave has decided he is a high wing kind of guy and the 601 clearly does not meet that need. He now has a Stinson 108 and a Cub and is part way through building a Storch replica.

The plane is a solid build but not a prize winner. It was Dave's first build so he did not know the little tricks to make a joint lay perfectly, etc but it is structurally strong and sound, built to the plans. It flys very nicely. I put about 35 of the plane's 45 hours onto it because Dave is a low time pilot and was not comfortable doing the intial flying. It is a safe, solid and strong airplane that I feel very secure in flying. It needs paint or a good polishing job, the surface is still raw aluminum and the fibreglas parts are still in the factory gel coat. Everything in the plane is brand new (radio, instruments, engine controls, etc etc). The only used part is the engine and it has a fresh overhaul done by a certified mechanic.

If the winning bid is over ten grand the buyer gets the whole thing as a flying airplane, come and fly it away. If the winning bid is under ten grand Dave keeps the freshly overhauled engine and you take the rest away in a truck or trailer. Winning bid gets the plane, no minimum bid required. It will be gone after this Ebay auction is done.

Most of the pictures in the Ebay listing are taken outdoors. The plane has been hangared its whole life but was outside from time to time to facilitate moving stuff around in the hangar. Those pics were taken during a "move stuff around" day.

Here is a link to the Ebay auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/262044403038?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2...

Views: 1582

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The eBay add seems to be categorized under collectible model airplanes.  He might have better luck if it were categorized with the other "real" aircraft.  That seems to be under eBay Motors >> Other Vehicles & Trailers >> Aircraft.

Has he tried more traditional aircraft posting websites like trade-a-plane?

You would think he could get at least $30,000!!!

Steve

Thanks for letting me know that, Steve. I will tell Dave. I tried to find his listing by going to aircraft and could not. I assumed it was operator error (I am not the most computer literate Grandpa in the world). I ended up finding it with the Ebay listing number which Dave had sent me. I failed to notice what category the "found" ad was listed in. Dave is even less computer savvy than I am (note he said "I do not email" in the ad) so he must have screwed up the category he put the ad into.

He did list the plane in Barnstormers for a while and I ran an ad in the Classified section of this group many months ago. Both resulted in a lot of calls and a some tire kickers and even a few handshakes but the deals always fell through. I agree it should sell for a fair price but it has not, so now the highest bid gets it.

plane sold for $13,433.00

Someone got a great buy!!!

Dave

Absolutely unreal.  That is stunning.

I thought about bidding but I have two planes already and I don't need another project.

Steve

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service