I am in the process of mounting the horiz stab and elevator on a 750 stol and I see that on the bottom of the stab near the front there is an oval hole where the control cable passes through. Just ahead of that there is a 70 mm L angle with 3 rivets attaching it to the skin . Does any one know what is the purpose of that L angle? Thanks

Views: 837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David,
I'm not near as far along as you but I do see where you might be talking about a cable slide.
There was another guy on the forum that recommended using a small aircraft control pulley here instead of sliding the control cable over the L angle. He even gave the Aircraft Spruce part number. I will see if I can find it.

John N.,

I think you're confusing the L angle David's describing with the L angle supporting the elevator cable fairlead. The L on the bottom/front of the HT forward of the hole for the elevator cable is probably there simply as a skin stiffener - someone correct me if I'm wrong!

The L angle you're describing is on the top/rear of the HT and supports the elevator cable fairlead:

There are discussions of this here and here.  Some do replace this with a pulley, but it really is not necessary.  As long as cable deflections are just a few degrees through a fairlead, they're almost frictionless and the nylon 6/6 is "self-lubricating."  I've got about 400 hrs on this assembly in my plane and there is no detectable wear. Chris Heintz is the master of keeping it simple and light!

John

N750A

Thanks John.

I am not near as far as most of you are so I am still learning.  Thanks for the correction.

I have the tail completed and working on the slats and flaperons.  Hope to start on the wings in a month or so.

Thanks again,

John Nichols

David,
See posts by Roger Grable. He gives the Aircraft Spruce P/N for the pulley he used.

I did have a question for you. I am building the slats now and (in the future) want to out landing lights on the slats. Seems like there's enough room in the channel in the trailing edge of the slat to run a wire. Do you know if that's tge right place? I saw where on the slats Homebuilt a Help video, he has larger holes drilled through the ribs so was thinking that's what I should do. Let me know if you've run across this before.
Thanks,
John Nichols

I have not built the slats yet but I did run a landing light wire through the trailing edge of the  wing and left it coiled  just behind the wing tip. I did rivet the wing tip yet so I still have access to that area. I was going to run the wire through a grommet in the leading edge of the wing and out to a grommet in the slat directly behind the landing light. I have the wing tip strobe wire and the landing light wire and pitot tubes running through the trailing edge of the wing and attached them to the rear channel. I am not saying that it is right but thats the way I ran it

Any chance you could post a pic of the one in question, I hope to build someday and I am trying to learn all the quirks that other builders experience.  Hope that makes sense.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service