Hi all, I'm sure many of you have had the same question since receiving the Zenith newsletter stating the CH750 has a 1440lb gross weight if you desire. The question is, can I build my CH650 to a higher gross weight? If so, what is that weight, and what changes are required?

Maybe one of you who is lucky enough to get to KOSH could ask at the Zenith booth?

-Ben

Views: 1285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do know of an XL that was cleared to 1500 lb by the factory with a few requirements. But again you need to call Roger after they get back and discuss it.
Chris

My kit is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. I will definitely call Roger . Getting to 1500 would be awesome.

Did you get your approval for 1500 pounds

Here is the response I got from Roger @ Zenith on 10/18/2016: 

"Hi Ben,

The 650 was designed for 1320 +6 -3 Gs if you increase the gross weight the G load will decrease.  The 750 was designed for 1440  and customers down graded it to 1320 for light sport.

Roger Dubbert
Zenith Aircraft Company

Without opening up a whole can of worms, that was probably the best response he could give with the past history and all of the 601XL.

For the 750, the Zenith website lists both the light sport and design limitations for gross weight. For the 650, Zenith only lists one weight. I think that is it based on the specification sections on the Zenith website.
One thing to think about. If you set the gross weight to 1500 lbs, it can never be reduced to 1320 lbs. The aircraft will never be able to be sold in the Light Sport category.

This may not be an issue for you, just something to be aware of.

Regards
Rodney

Thanks Rodney - I'm aware of this, but others who read this may not be - definitely worth pointing out! 

-Ben

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service