I have an older 601. On landing it "slams" down on the nose wheel. On takeoff it takes a hard pull to get the nose up and then it over rotates causing an interesting series of gyrations.

I had a post previously and a reply staTed they installed a longer nose wheel strut.

I installed the Eggenfelner spring and it doesn't appear normal.

Also, on landing and taxi the main gear feels very stiff. I have never seen the top plate move, is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

Ray

Views: 365

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ray,

My 2006 era 601XL nose gear leg is 795mm long.  This is from the top of the tube to the bottom of the plate that bolts to the nose wheel forks.  As has been stated in earlier posts on this same topic, FWF weight and the position of the main gear legs will affect the weight on the nose gear. 

Dave

Dave, Thanks for the response.

I will measure my strut, and I am aware of the discussion on the position of the main wheel forks.

Has the length of the nose strut length ever changed in the evolution of the low wing design?

If any one has any comments on the stiffness of my main gear I would appreciate hearing them.

Mine rides like the proverbial lumber wagon. Doesn't seem to be any spring to it at all. It seems to be a very simple system not subject to seizing. 

For example, when taxiing over a bump or a rough edge do you ever see that plate on top of the strut Rise?

Ray

My 601 hd gear is stiff also. I feel this is just how it is designed. I wouldnt worry about that. As far as your slamming and rotation issues go, sounds like something else may need to be addressed. I will note that I have the factory nose gear. 

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service