Good Afternoon...

I'm at the point of joining the two slats sections together. The instructions and prints are not very clear as to how this is to be done. Before I do some serious  damage to the slats (and my ego) does anyone have a suggestion or information as to the best way to accomplish this. Pictures would also be a big help.

Thanks for your time and consideration it is appreciated..

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From my memory of probably 8+ years ago, I remember the slat skins are exactly the same size, which makes it necessary to adjust one side. The Homebuilt Help video showed an easy way to do it. Pick one slat, measure back about 10 mm from the forward-most point, & drill a 1/8” “drill stop” hole. Cut the skin from the edge to that hole, which will allow you to “shrink” that side enough so that it fits inside the the other slat. 

I don’t know where you are in your build, but the Homebuilt Help Videos will save you a bunch of time, frustration, and money. I highly suggest that you invest in them.

Best of luck,

Jimmy Young

Van,

Correction: Regarding drilling the 1/8" "drill stop" hole, I should have said the trailing edge, not the forward-most point. What I did is very similar to what Robert Riat said he did. 

I put my slats together after I had the wings mounted and made wood spacer blocks to get them spaced correctly and also used a string across the leading edge to make sure they were straight.  Yes, they were tight sliding the one inside the other, but it was easier with one secured on with clamps and they  came together good for riveting.  Sorry, didn’t get a picture of the install.AA53937B-A1C5-4EDD-A818-9378589D75CB.jpeg

Just remembered. On the trailing edge of the slat that slides inside the other one - I measured in from the end about 25 mm and then cut that on a slight angle to that point.  In other words, I ended up with a small triangle cut off and was able to slide them together far enough to cover up the cut.  I wouldn’t tell anyone to do that, but it worked for me and couldn’t tell it after they were riveted together. Hope that made sense.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service