I really want to go bigger but upgrading to 6 inch wheels, brakes and new from strut is too much.... any ideas on what can be done. Transition from local airport to home field is my issue.

Ralph

Views: 864

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I simply built my cruzer with factory 750 STOL tire kit.

Nice Plane Mark, but when I spoke to Roger their kit is $2000 and they say i need to replace the front strut. I was hoping for a new fork and larger tires on larger 6 inch wheels and keep the brakes as is, hubs etc and strut. My feeling is that since I have the 130hp Viking engine I perhaps already have the beefier from strut.

also I was thinking of 21 inch tires for mains and I had thought the stock STOL size is around 16 correct?

Ralph

The stock front fork is to narrow for the larger STOL tires and is flat where the front fork bolts on. The STOL fork is rounded. The forks do not exchange between struts thus the requirement for a new strut when changing between tire sizes. When buying a new strut I suggest discussing the possibility of upgrading to a heavier duty strut with Roger. On rough dirt strips the front strut takes a beating.

The other Ralph

N750RP

Hi Ralph,

Our RAA Chapter traded in Cruzer hardware for Tundra Gear to operate primarily

off grass. I believe tires are all same as what would come on front of 701 with Tundra gear.

Perry

Did Zenith knock money off for your cruzer stuff, ie, discounted the price for a trade in?

Ralph

I believe they did, help out.  I was the biggest cheerleader for going Tundra Equipment, but I was not involved in the transaction of returning the Cruzer Gear and getting Tundra Gear, so i am not sure of the details. That said Zenith/Zenair gave us a lot of help as an RAA Chapter taking this on as a club project.

I am in the process of going from the 5" CruZer tires/wheels to the 6" ones with the new rounded fork and strut.  Is it just me or does it seem that the factory drawings for the rounded fork appear backward (cut edge to the front)?  When you look at the new fork, the straight edge is the rounded one and the angled cut edge does not have the same "aerodynamics"...

I upgraded to double breaks and 8 inch rims, but was able to use existing hubs. I recomend brake intensifieres as well for stopping power. I used 27.5 on my cruzer and it rocks!

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service