Im working on finishing up my 801 slats and am getting the optional Aeroled Microsun landing light installed. My question for all you expert CH builders (and non-experts with an opinion) out there is - wire for pulse or no pulse?

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I personally think it depends on how you're going to use them. Wig-wag can be seen much easier, but that's a limited advantage if you only use the landing lights during takeoffs or landings at night. If you plan to use them all the time, you'll be much more visible to other aircraft day or night.

Thanks, Bob.  I wasn't planning on installing a second light for wig/wag so in my case, it would just add the ability to pulse the single light.

If I understand your question correctly, it's not an either-or choice between pulse or no pulse:  you wire-in two switches and the red wire goes to the landing light switch and the yellow wire goes to the pulse light switch.  The installation manual with wiring diagrams are here.

John

N750A

Hi John: correct - my question is really should I bother on running an additional wire in the slat/wing to accommodate a pulse switch?  The Zenair landing light kit only included a single strand wire so I would need to pick up additional if I decide to include pulse.

Personally, I'd want both functions - I think the pulse is more noticeable for recognition in daylight flight.

John

If it were me I would wire for the pulse.  Little downside to do it now while it’s easy.  You won’t want to go back and do it later if you decide you want it then.  I think it makes you much more visible to other aircraft.

numerous studies have shown that a pulsing light is more noticeable than a steady light (and wig-wag is even more so)

The more things I can have flashing, winking, pulsing, wig-wagging the happier I am. I don't wanna be in a mid air collision.

Go for the pulse. If you can afford it, put a second light in the other wing and set them up for wig-wag.

As already pointed out it is relatively easy to do now and hard to do once the plane is built. Good luck and have fun.

Bob

Thanks for all the opinions - decided that I will wire for pulse...makes a lot of sense to do it now while its easy!

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service