Is anyone out there using a Jabiru 2200 in their 701? I like the direct drive, lower rpm. and air cooling,but only if it works well. Joel Sansing

Views: 3582

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Joel, theres lots now using the 2200 and a few on the 3300 I think theres a section on the ZAC website about the installation - although ZAC dont sell those engines themselves.

I chose the 2200 in 2003 at a time when the next available choice was a 912 that cost $12,000 more to install not including the ring mount now available (and I would never have installed a tray mount 912 after seeing so many engines shake to bits with that system) The FAA even put out an SDR and Zenair modified the HS attach brackets on the 701 because of the 912S installations.

The 2200 now has ample performance since I got the prop sorted, it does not overheat and runs smooth. The 2009 engines are considerably changed (hopefully for the better) and the main annoyance has been a poor service life on some engines - but not as poor as my closest 912 owner's !

If I was starting over and price was the same I would use a 912, but here we are closer to Oz and I can get nearly 2 Jabiru for the cost of a 912, so when my 2200 expires I will get a new one. I have not seen a VW do very well in the 701 the other engines that do well are 2 strokes - for a short time.

Ralph
Thanks for the reply Ralph.What is the flying weight of your plane, prop info, take-off roll, and top and cruise speeds? I agree that this plane does need a light engine. I have also heard of the cracking HS brackets, I just finished replacing mine with the thicker parts.Its kind of rough to upgrade parts before you even finish building, but so goes plane building.Thanks again for the reply,I place a premium on info from someone actually flying with parts in question. Joel Sansing
From what I have read the rotax 912s is the engine of choice for the 701.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service