I could probbaly find the answer if I dig deep enough, but I thought I might try the easy way out and post the question here instead.

As the title implies, I have an ICOM radio with headset jacks.  What I have discovered is the panel volume knob on the unit has no effect on the volume through the headsets, if you pull the headset jacks out though, the panel volume knob does appear to work.  

My headsets do have a volume adjustment on the earcups but I was hoping to have a bit more volume control from the panel.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?  is there a fix deep in the programming "guts" of the unit itself?

I do NOT have an audio panel in that I only have a single COMM radio

Brad Cohen

N969BC

Building hours

Views: 1020

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a A210 with the headphones directly wired to to the radio via headphone jacks.  The volume knob on the radio controls the volume in the headsets.  When you set up the menu you are given the choice of Muting the headset, Setting the volume at a fixed level or Having the volume change with the radio's volume knob.  Check that first.

Your comment that it works when you pull the plug part way out makes me suspect you may have the jack wired incorrectly. Does your jack have only two terminals (ground and hot) or an extra terminal (stereo jack).  If the latter, maybe you wired the hot wire (pin 7) to the wrong terminal.

Good luck!

Tim

Attachments:
That's a good idea. I'll go back and look. I had Sarasota avionics pre-wire the headphone jacks and the transponder harness, but they really screwed up the wiring for my -327, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that the jacks are incorrect as well.... I'll let you know next week if that fixes things

Brad

If the jacks are wired correctly and the menu set properly, you might try insulating the jacks from aircraft ground using  insulating washers - although I don't see where it is called for in the installation.  http://www.bandc.biz/insulatingwasherset1pair.aspx  - I remember using them on my Mic jacks but don't recall why - (Oldtimers disease)

If I were a betting man, I'd say you have shorting jacks like the one pictured in the middle of the attached jpeg.  I'd also suspect that the guy who wired it connected the headphone audio to the pin across from the tip connection.  If so, the only time a signal would be able to get thru would be if the plug were pulled partially out so that the shorting bar made contact with the tip.  The fix is to make sure the audio wire goes to the pin indicated in the jpeg.

If you've ever listened to "Car Talk" on NPR this is one of those "Stump the Chumps" moments so let me know what you find out :-)

Tim

Attachments:

Tim,

I did a meta-search on Google and came across this on the VAF forum;

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=79768

Gonna give it a try next week at the airport before pulling wires out from the back of the panel.  

Thought I would share with you what I found.

Brad

Yup, that was what I was talking about when I said to set the menu so the volume control would control volume in the headset. Menu mode is described on page 22 and the specific adjustment you need to check is on page 23  (IC-A210 Manual)

Good luck!

Tim

Well Brad, I only have an old fashioned A200 but a guy with an A210 says that the headphone level can be selected to be either fixed or interlocked with the output level adjustment. He too did not get this right to begin with. And when you pull the earphone 6.3 mm stereo plug halfway out the tip might touch the other audio channel... rgrds, Max

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service