Are people using the rubber gas lines firnished in the kits or using braided stainless? I know we are building experimental, but using the rubber lines seem risky when dealing with a potential (or eventual) gas leak.

Views: 8170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I read your description correctly, Jimmy, the RV10 builder used solid line all the way to the carburetor. Is that what you describe? In most installations there is flexible hose going from the firewall to the engine even if the rest of the plumbing is solid tube. That is a very vibration prone crossing, going from the fixed airframe to the vibrating engine. There should be flex lines crossing that area for all plumbing, with the possible exception of very small diameter tubes such as primer line or mechanical oil temp or oil pressure gage sensing line. Those should have a several turn spiral in them to absorb vibration if they are not flex line in the firewall to engine section.
I purchased a new 601 from an insurance company that had been involved in a nose gear collapse on it's first flight. The fuel line was rubber with barb connectors and the oil lines were AN fittings and stainless braid. The rubber fuel line stretched about 5 inches and was very tight, but did not break or leak. Both the AN fittings broke in the center of the aluminum elbo. They did not stretch, they broke.

For some situations the rubber is better, others the AN hardware is better.
Interesting and useful. I have considered alu and steel lines, but I like the rubber lines, they seem to accept better the vibrations and, I like to change them every 5 years - it is a nice opportunity to look around and you do spot little leaks and insect nests that you might other wise miss.

I think that we should all have inspection covers that allow for change of the lines - regardless of the type installed - and that really is the bottom line. Install what you like - but do not be so short sighted as to imagine that you can avoid changing them or inspecting from time to time!!!
So what hoses did y'all use? I've been looking at using a hose but I just cant decide between the Aeroquip 303/601/666. 303 is rubber lined, 601 is synthetic rubber (difference??), and 666 is the teflon. Price varies accordingly and I guess so does quality.

Price is a secondary concern; I am more concerned about lifetime and ease of adding the fittings.

Anyone want to go into detail on which ones they went with? Did anyone use hoses from the wing (I've got a 650, or at least parts of one) and then tubing to the firewall? It seems like anyone who's done this can just drag and drop what they did (lengths, #of fittings, etc) onto this page.

Thanks!
I had some fuel smell in the cabin until I installed some Parker "Stratoflex" I highly recommend it. All in all rubber tubing or some kind of flexible tubing would probably work best on the 912 series of engines. Periodic replacement is always a must you can't escape it. Solid lines have also work in aircraft and will continue to be used in certified aircraft. However, using it requires a well layed out schematic plan with vibration considerations at all times. Solid lines are usually run in solid lengthes up to connection points where flex hose is used to make the connection. A long solid run with a solid fitting splice in it is asking for trouble on a 912 series engine. I recommend flexible hose with firesleeve.
If I want to use AN fittings and Aluminum tubing, what adapter do I use at the finger screen on the outlet of the fuel tank (in place of the barbed fitting)?
Word search "AN Fittings" on the Aircraft Spruce home page you will see a selection of fittings. The screen fitting in the tank is 1/4" pipe (was on mine anyway) so you would need either a 4-4 fitting or a 6 fitting (choice of steel or aluminum) depending on the OD of the tubing you are using. Don't forget a shut off valve some where close in that area. Also use fairly thick grommets to run the tubing through the root rib if you have to go through the rib. I ran everything through a lightening hole.
That's what I thought I bought (1/4" NPT Pipe), but they don't fit. I guess I better look at this a little closer.

Thanks!
Dale, I think you would need to use an "AN816-4D" nipple which is a 1/4" NPT pipe thread on one end and a 1/4", 37 degree flared tubing on the other. Bob Pickens, Troy Mo.
correction, should be AN816-4-4D. Bob P.

Old thread but I can't decide between stainless steel or nylon braided PTFE fuel lines. Any opinions?

I was looking at these.

https://hotrodfuelhose.com/products/an6-ptfe-lined-nylon-braided-ho...

In the fuel lines you reference, there is no mention that they are carbon impregnated/electrically conductive.  In the picture on the website, the PTFE liner appears to be white, which means they are probably not conductive (conductive lines usually have a gray or black liner).  If the liner is conductive, it reduces the possibility of a static build-up and a spark. This is one area where you want the best quality available - period!

I'd recommend using braided stainless steel lines - almost indestructible and permanent. If you're going to fabricate them yourself (I did!), get some quality lines and fittings such as Earl's "Speed-

flex" at ANPlumbing.com or you can have them made-to-order by various vendors such as Aircraft Specialty.

John

N750A

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service