After I installed the Desser larger 21" tundra tires on the mains I needed to raise the nose about 2".

This is how I extended the fork - guess I should have taken before and after and during pictures but you can get the idea.  Sourced the aluminum from Zenith - 6061 T6 fork material.

Also added wheel bearing spacers made from steel tube to allow better control of preload on bearings.

Additionally notice the spacer cut from 6061 material to provide the mounting surface on inside of the strut.  This was fabricated and then riveted in place to avoid it falling out during assembly.

One other thing I did was to use countersunk (aircraft quality) bolts to provide more side clearance on the tire where necessary.

Looks great - flys great !!

Still grinnin !

Phil Smith

CH 70Wonderful

Buhl, ID

Views: 602

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know -  I just noticed the safety wire is wrong - my bad

Phil

Phil, 

When are you coming over to Blackfoot to show off your work? Plus, don’t you have vg’s on your bird?

Ralph

N750RP

208 680-2561

Ralph

Thanks for the invite - haven't been quite that far yet with the CH 70wonderful.  Might drop in sometime as my daughter lives in Idaho Falls.

Yes you are partially correct - the vgs I have on my plane are what I call DeltaGs - copied from what the Sportsman has on top of their plane to keep the airflow attached.  If interested, I explained it all in my Zenith site.  Work great - always attract attention.  I have been passing them off as "sonic flow deflectors".

Most importantly; You and all of the eastern Idaho bunch are invited to our  BUHL OPEN HOUSE on June 8th this year.  Contact Foothills Aviation for all the details.

Phil

Attachments:

BTW

As for the cost - I think about fifty dollars.  I sourced the Al 6061 T6 from Zenith; just told Roger to ship me 36" of whatever they made the fork from - cost $20.00 but shipping was $19.95. If I had to do it over I would have been more specific and had Roger just ship lengths I needed. The counter sunk bolts from ACS were a couple of bucks plus shipping.  The steel spacer tubing and the rest of the nuts, bolts and rivets I had laying around. A weekend of cutting, drilling and filing should do it for time.

ttfn

Phil

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service