Thinking about putting a bead roll on some 1/2" 5052 Al tubing.  Has anyone ever used  a tool like an EZ Beader (Earl's,etc.) to do so? 

Evidently, the tool is only designed for softer stuff like 3003 Al, copper, etc.  I just need to get a dozen or so good beads without it breaking.  Considering heating the tubing to soften the metal prior to beading.

Any thoughts, or suggestions?  Appreciate!!

Dave

Views: 458

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

5052 Is a soft metal non-heat treatable should be OK

Hi Dave, I use the ATS Parker style beading tool we have at work and it does a really nice job - but it is $$. The Earls EZ Beader looks like a capable tool for AL. Don't worry about the 5252 if you are going to only make a few beads. They probably mean it is not for hard tubing like stainless or high volume production beading of steel tubing. Best Regards, Larry Zepp

G'day Dave,

these work really well !  I have 1'' and 1 1/4'' , they work well on 6061-T6 tube ,........as 5052 is softer you'll have NO trouble .          Ian

I had to shorten and re-bead the 5/8 ID tube that came with the oil filter kit for my Stinson. I used a tool similar to your pictured tool and it made a fine bead. I did not heat it or do any prep other than smearing a bit of oil to let the tool rotate inside the tube more easily. I do not know what alloy the tube from the kit was but it was aluminum and seemed to be a fairly hard material, so I suspect your 5052 will be no problem.

David,

I took a different approach.  I made beeding blocks.

http://daniel.dempseyfamily.us/zodiac/fuel/beedblocks.htm

Nice forming blocks, Dan! However, David (the original poster) is wanting to bead the end of aluminum tube so that a hose clamped onto the end will seal up better. Different objective than your very nicely formed stiffening stampings in those nicely made tanks.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and input, will order the EZ-beader and let you know how it all turns out.  Will try without heat and with heat  (if necessary) for comparative ease/quality of the bead and post pics

Dave

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service