As I approach my 40 hrs fly off in Phase I test I've been reviewing my Operating Limits.  One line that caught my interest was regarding flying into other countries. 

"Operations in civil airspace outside of the United States will require the written permission of the applicable Civil Aviation Authorities (CAA).  That written permission must be carried aboard the aircraft together with the U.S. airworthiness certificate and, upon request, be made available to an FAA inspector or the CAA in the country of operation."

Anyone have any experience to relate with obtaining the required written permission from Transport Canada Civil Aviation?  I will post whatever I find out..


Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK, looks like this form will do the trick in addition to the required decal (user fee) and other minor detals..

This is (good) news to me. I thought I was prohibited from taking my E-AB plane into Canada. I have family there and it would be great to be able to visit.

OR - I got confused that you can't fly there under a light sport licence. You have to have to fly under a  private pilot's license. Now I'm wondering - if I have a PP license but fly under light sport rules - can I fly my E-AB into Canada???

I just checked the Transport Canada website and it's not clear there either:

Also not clear whether a current medical is required. I was pretty sure there was some reason I couldn't fly there but can't find it now.

Hi Gary,

You will need a medical to fly into Canada. That has always been Transport Canada's hang-up on having reciprocity with the Light Sport Pilot's Licence. The Light Sport License training is very similar to our ultralight license permit but it is the medical that is the problem. That is despite that we have a self declared medical for our ultralight classification.

BTW Dave, for us Canadians to fly our Amateur Builts (or our ultralights) into the US, we have the same restrictions (act of reciprocity) but we have to carry a copy of the FAA waiver with its conditions. We simply print one of the internet and carry it with our on-board documents. Sorry, I don't have the link to this document handy.



Do you know if it is possible to get a Transport Canada valid medical (IE, not necessarily a FAA medical via an U.S. aero-medical examiner) and fly as a sport pilot in Canada?  From what little I've read, it seems it should be possible, but I've never read of anyone doing it.

Hey Joe,  the link I posted above is essentially the same thing.  It constitutes validation of the FAA Special Airworthiness Certificate for purposes of operating in Canadian airspace.  I'm looking forward to exploring NB and Nova Scotia this summer.  I've got my CBP sticker coming and just need to get an account with EAPIS for crossing in and out.


New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, power distribution panel, Approach Fast Stack harnesses, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Custom Upholstery Kits for your Zenith Aircraft:

Zenith Vinyl Upholstery Kits

Zenith Apparel from EAA:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

How to videos from

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit for the latest DVD titles.

Aircraft Insurance:


West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:


Transition training:

Golden Eagle Aviation

Pianosa Flying Farm

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

© 2020   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service