Hello fellow airplane builders,  does anyone know how many degrees the flaperon moves for each 360 degree twist of the flap gear shaft?  If the spand between neutral and full deflection is 13 degrees how many turns for the flap motor gear shaft? My build is a ch801. Course, I suppose the 701 & 750 use the same motor and gear shaft. Thanks, Bill 

Views: 357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who knows how many degrees the flaps drop per 360 degree turn of the flap motor screw gear? Seems like a bunch of fellows should know this. Best Bill 

I haven't looked at my flap gear motor in-motion in quite a while, but isn't the screw internal and not visible?  Here's a YouTube video of the motor in motion - I don't see any externally rotating parts that could be used to count revolutions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3KEz2N-ngI

John

N750A

Not sure why the question, but would this help? Flaps up, mark flap position (zero reference line) and flap motor arm length.  Activate motor for one second, measure flap deflection angle achieved in degrees with your smart phone or whatever. Measure flap motor shaft distance travelled. Record the data, Repeat in one second intervals until flaps are full down, then go back full up in the same manner.

Hopefully not to creep the thread, but a piece of potentially useful trivia:

Years ago, I verified with Caleb, the then-engineer at Zenith, that the gear motor as supplied by Zenith has internal limit switches, so there is no harm to holding the flap switch as long as you want at either end of the up or down limits.  On my STOL 750, it takes exactly 4 seconds to go from full up to full down flaps. So rather than have a flap position indicator, or look out the window and use my Mark I eyeballs, I can hold the switch and simply count "thousand and one, thousand and two" and know the flaps have traveled 2 seconds or 50%, etc.  If you lose track of whether they're up or down, you can simply hold the flap switch in either direction for 4 seconds and you know they're fully up or fully down, whichever direction you selected, and then reverse the direction and count seconds to get them where you want them.

John

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service