Thanks to the determination and hospitality of Tim and Joan Juhl, a campsite was indeed available in Camp Schoeller at 6th and Elm and the campfire gathering on Tuesday evening was a smashing success. We didn't make an official count but there were about two dozen hale and hearty souls in attendance despite the somewhat soggy condition of the terrain in the camping area (a bit like fresh cheese curds, eh?). The soft ground prohibited me from parking our fifth wheeler next to the Juhls as planned but I was able to wallow in there with the truck . Everyone seemed to have a good time swapping stories, putting faces onto names that we had come to know, roasting brats over the fire, and sharing the whole Oshkosh experience.

Thanks to Tim and Joan for their generosity and the notion to hold this get-together in the first place, and thanks to all who took the time to attend after a busy day at Airventure. Two side notes; first, the award for The Most Heartwarming Appreciation and Consumption of Louisiana Boudin was a tie shared by the three members of the David Gallagher family in attendance. Despite the handicap of their Ohio Buckeye origins, they took on the challenge and met it with gusto... ca c'est bon com ca! I now have an even greater appreciation for this most gracious group of northerners ;-)

Second, the Party Pooper award for this inaugural event goes to Bob Beach who despite his many years of residence in Louisiana and his courage and determination to fly in on Thursday and reside in a tent through the the great Airventure flood of 2010, he found himself too old and too tired to attend. (I told you we would talk about you Bob).

Thanks again to all involved and we'll see you at the Zenith dinner at Robin's Restaurant tonight!

Ed and Papa

Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry I missed they event, but I was there in spirit, or was it the spirits I was drinking last night ....
I'll be there next year! I've already put in a request for good weather!
Considering all that went wrong at Oshkosh this year the Zenith Builder's Campfire was indeed a success. The official count was 29 in attendance with 5 of those being long-suffering family members of builders. Ed Moody graciously prepared and shared his Louisiana Boudin. His dad (also ED) told us later that it was available in spicy, normal and mild and that we were being treated to the spicy version. I was amused when Patrick Hoyt took a few bites and then excused himself to hotfoot it over to his nearby camp to get some more liquid to wash away the fire in his mouth. I only had to step to the rear of the van where I had bottles of water. The plus side is that my head cleared up! It was wonderful to put faces with the names that had become familiar from the discussion groups. Ed and I would like to hear suggestions from those who think we should do it again next year as to what could be done to make it a more enjoyable experience. First on my list is get rid of the mosquitos! In 35 years of attending Oshkosh this was the first time that they were a problem for me. I suspect it had something to do with all the standing water.

Thanks to all who attended. Zenith builders are certainly a wonderful and diverse group of people and I am proud to be included among them.

Tim Juhl

We certainly could not have found a more gracious couple than Tim and Joan Juhl. I think everyone who made it there (and apparently some who visit by teleportation from home) enjoyed the opportunity to unwind and get to know each other. I don't yet know if I will make it next year but if I can go I would look forward to the campfire (and less rain). Viva GallOshkosk!

Ed

PS Don't worry Pat... the numbness in your mouth will gradually get better.
What a wonderful time! Really some great people.

Looking forward to seeing you all again...

Thanks,

Patrick Hoyt
Ed and TIm,

My family appreciated your hospitality! The boudin was a new experience that lasted well into the next day (i.e. I liked it, but it did not like me). I was worried that Sloshkosh 2010 would be a bust but it ended up being one of the most memorable ever.

Dave
You folks are a lot of fun to be with. I hope we can continue to get together once in a while.

Ed
Speaking of a get-together, I think a mass fly-in of 601's to Oshkosh suggested at the campfire is a great idea... just wait until mine is built so I can participate :-)

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service