Hello,

This past weekend I made a couple of short runs to my jabiru 3300. everything went ok but the UMA tachometer (0-3500 electrical) at low rpm was giving erratic readings. I have the DB 9 connector and the wiring was very straightforward, two pins for voltage, one for ground and one for one coil. Am I missing something?, Please anyone with this tach give some input. Thanks in advance.

Views: 756

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

G'Day. My dynon does the same goes a bit eratic , cruise is fine, high rpm and low rpm are a little weird .But while the big fan up front keeps going round i dont care

paul

Had similar problem myself, but it was quit a while ago, so can't remember which offending wire it was.

Go back and recheck the wiring schematic & directions -- make sure that everything is wire correctly.

I had one two many wires hooked up -- disconnected it and everything went well afterward.

Mack

My Tack drops off to zero when idle speed goes below 800RPM. UMA told me that is normal when using a lighting lead. The only other problem I have is that it is almost impossible to read the hour-meter, the hundredth's and tenth's, the red digits do not show up very well The magnifying lens is worthless. I am considering a separate hour-meter.     Bob Pickens, Troy, Mo.
Try a "Tiny Tach" from Aircraft Spruce. Attach to panel with velcrow tape, then simply wrap the wire lead a few times around a single spack plub lead wire. ..."installation complete". Tiny Tach shows engine rpm digitally when engine running and then show "HOBBS" time when engine shutdown. Cheap, simple and works great. I used one for 10 yrs and never had an issue. Available in 2-stroke & 4-stroke models.

Many thanks to all for your comments.

I agree with Robert on the lousy hour meter, but it will have to do as is. Robert, When you say lighting lead, the tach conects to which of the two leads on the coil, the one going to the switch or to the one going to the distrtibutor?

I will also do what logic and Mack sugests, check the conector  to discard faulty wirings.

best regards,

I connected the "signal input" to one, either, of the wires from the alternator and ahead of the voltage regulator per UMA instructions on "Engine Connections" for a Jabiru engine.        Bob Pickens
I found that connecting to a coil wire did not work well. A alternator wire is better. I suspect using the Jabiru pickup off the flywheel would be the best option. I have not tried that method yet though.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service