I'm wondering what is the best engines everyone is installing or running? Also the pros and cons? I am building the Zenith CH 650 and have just started. I like the UL350iS or the Lycoming 233 but I see quite a few Corvair engines out there, so what are the pros and cons about them. I do not like the Rotax. I want something simple. So any input will be greatly appreciate.

Views: 11334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At Viking do you prefer the Whirlwind 2-blade or 3-blade?
Regards,
Damien Graham
N48TK
Zodiac 601 HDS

3 blade works best with geared engines

Mr Brantly,

You are correct, there were people working with Corvairs long before me, starting with Bernard Pietenpol in 1960, and I didn't get started with Corvair flight engines until 1989. however, The suggestion that there are people who have been doing this longer who would be of assistance to todays builders is not valid, as none of the guys like Pietenpol, Waterman or Huckins are alive anymore. If you think getting a returned phone call from me is problematic, you have a long wait to have Bernard Pietenpol to call you back.

"Poor Customer service" in in the perception of the builder. I have held 35 free Corvair Colleges attended by hundreds of builders, I have made nearly 500 free house calls, and I have spent a lot of time teaching people through many channels. To me, this is a service record that has made a difference for people who could work with the limitations of my choice to run a mom and pop sized business and not have Zenith's level of communications services.

People are free to try to do everything their own way and prove that they have nothing to learn from me about putting a Corvair on a Zenith, that is their choice, but I personal feel they have an ethical responsibility to the person who will sit in their passenger seat to get the best information on their engine, from any source available, rather than writing off sources because the perceived them as offering "poor service".  -ww.

The question I had to ask myself, based on my personal experience,  is whether it is possible for me  pursue using a Corvair engine if I did not feel I could depend on reliable support and parts.

Ultimately the answer was yes. This does not mean I will not make use of your useful website and even attempt to purchase parts from you.However I would not consider a lack of availability in terms of support or parts be a show stopper for me.

I have read on your blog where you have made some changes to how customer service and orders are being handled. I do sincerely hope that this new arrangement works better.

My CH750 is running the Jabaru 3300.  180 hours and no problems and very smooth running!  I'm taking the Jabaru maintenance course in Tenn. this next week.  Hope to increase my knowledge!  Good luck and happy hunting.

My friend Vern had a 3300 in one of his CH-750 aircraft he built.  I was able to fly the first few flights and it was a very nice engine.  

You say you want something "simple"????

Be careful about what that is :)

Maybe you view it as:

• Air Cooled
  • Carburetor fuel delivery
  • Magneto ignition
  • Direct drive

That is not simple - it is:

• Old fashion
  • Complicated
  • High maintenance
  • Very mechanical
  • High pilot workload

Air cooled engines have been left behind by most all engine manufacturers.  6 CHT and 6 EGT probes, with their associated wiring and gauges is not simple.  Manual mixture is not simple.  Connecting 6 individual cylinders with air pipes, exhaust pipes, spark-plug wires and engine monitoring probes / wires is not simple.   

Jan, sorry to say but I am removing my Viking engine because I have starting and oil pressure problems and I haven't had any help from your or anyone from Viking. After spending lots of money, I have given up and now I am going for O-200d Continental or Jabiru 3300. Everyone needs support when they buy a new product. 

Is this some kind of ESTian salesmanship?

Having a hard time following this logic. Are you saying that direct drive is "very mechanical" and "complicated" and "high maintenance" compared to a gear reduction unit? Is air cooled "very mechanical, complicated, and/or high maintenance" compared to water pipes, water pumps, anti freeze, radiators, & etc? Is there a "simple way" of connecting intake & exhaust pipes to individual cylinders?.  My cht and egt probes go to a GRT efis (very simple) Are you suggesting that computer controlled fuel injection, mixture, ignition timing & etc, doesn't use engine monitoring probes? "Air cooled engines have been left behind by most".......AUTOMOBILE... "engine manufacturers". True - but that's a different mission. When an auto engine quits due to an electrical component failure (albeit rare) the vehicle is usually at ground level!

Kinda the same points I thought I made, Glenn.  But I got reamed for my comments

about liking an O-200.....

Jeff, before I bought my SLSA Jabiru 250, I shopped for years at Oshkosh & LSA expo at Mt Vernon IL. Vast majority of vendors, were very honest & helpful educating me about the many aircraft choices, the strong points and weak points. Most praised their competitor's good points. A small number berated their competitor's product & I just walked away. Now  I own an experimental CH 750. I think some of the comments on this thread indicate that some have lost sight of what "experimental" aircraft are all about - trying different things. Many choices in engines. No need to bad rap someone's choice.  

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service