I was wondering if anyone has installed an aux braking system   emergency brake on there 601 do you need brakes on the pass side aswell???   thx    joe     x35 dunnellon fl

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings from Idaho,

I added brakes on the passenger side, because I like to fly from the right side now and then.

A parking brake comes in handy, especially when fueling on an uneven tarmac.

Just some thoughts,

Mack

If you are referencing an independent auxiliary braking system, Joseph, I would say no. The right and left brake systems are independent of each other and if one fails you still have the other. You will not longer have symetrical braking but you will have braking. I have never flown a General Aviation plane with a true secondary braking system, it would add too much weight, expense and complication. The only time I have flown with true secondary or auxiliary brakes it was in a plane built by Boeing, Northrop, Lockheed or Airbus.

The right side brakes are a personal decision. They, too, add weight and complication but are more commonly installed on light aircraft. I do not plan to install right side brakes on my 601XLB in an effort to keep things light and simple.

I am still undecided about whether to install a parking brake system or not. They can be handy when parking briefly to get fuel or even just to keep the plane stationary until you get chocks under the wheels but should not be used for long term parking. It puts too much strain on the brake seals and even a tiny hydraulic leak will leave you without a working parking brake in fairly short order. Chocks are better.

My two cents worth......

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service