Builders,

I have been flying my CH750 for over 5 yrs now. Have a Precision model vertical card compass that I have never been able to keep within 25-30 degrees of correct. I recently bought a new Air Path Whiskey compass and installed it with the same results. Got to researching a bit, and discovered the "degaussing" phenomenon with regards to the magnification of welded steel parts and its effect on a compass. I've read everything from where you can use a TV monitor-type degausser, to you must use a massive industrial degausser, to wrapping the cord of an extension light around your steel parts and leave the light on for 24 hrs will demagnify the steel.

Do any of you guys have any actual sucessful experience with degaussing steel parts in your plane you could share, and has anyone else had this same compass inaccuracy issue with their Zenith?

Jimmy Young

Houston TX

Views: 2009

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The coil puts out an alternating magnetic field, turn it on close to the cabin frame struts and move it around in small circles.  Slowly back away and then level the coil so the field Is not directed towards the plane and then turn it off.  If you turn it off close to the struts it will polarize or magnetize the metal. BE SURE to remove your compass from the plane and put it far away from the area. 

Hope this helps, give me a call if you have more questions.

David 360-670-9725

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service