I thought I had posted this request for info, but I don't see it so I'll try again:  I expect delivery on my 701 kit in mid-Jan.  In doing the logistics and planing (due diligence), I've seen some 22-24' long covered trailers with Cruzers/701's being loaded.  Does anyone have any info on sources/specs/plans for such a trailer?  The problem seems to be the 8'7" tail on the bird ...  I have access to a nice grass strip only a couple of miles from me.  No improvements or structures on the property.  I'm told I could park such a trailer there, so I'm not anticipating many long over-the-road hauling of the beastie.  Any ideas out there?

Views: 1025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Take a close look at what it takes and how the wings fold on the 701. Could eat into your flying time.

The video shows one guy, less than 10 min. 

I built an ultra-light (MiniMax) and found that the hardest part was finding hangar space anywhere in North Texas.  It now sits wings removed in a newly constructed shed (which was to be my workshop) in my back yard. 

From what I've seen about the Zenith folding wings on videos, I'd agree with Paul's comment. Looks like it's not a whole lot less work than removing the wings. I landed at Rockwall (F46) a couple of weeks ago, & it looked like they had a lot of covered open-air spaces available, you might want to check with them.

Thanks Jimmy.  I looked at Rockwall when I completed the MiniMAX and there was a 2 year waiting lest for space.   Any kind of airport space seems to be at a premium in North Texas, hence the folding wing was of great interest.  I've viewed the video many times and, unless it is because it is not a "completed" a/c, I don't see any big problems other than needing the supports.

Kurt,

Do you have wing tanks? If so they have to be drained or a sealed cap. Are the fuel lines and wires  long enough to pull out and then fold back? If so will the lines kink or create a high spot when the wings are unfolded? Are there access plates to remove before unbolting the wings. Is the wind blowing at 10 or 15 kts when your folding it up to put away? Do you keep a torque wrench around for when you put the bolts back in? Will the cross bar be in your way when you are flying (it's right in front of the rear carry thru) ,would hit the back of my head.    Just a few of the things that kept me from going with the folding wing on the 750.

I have a Kitfox that you can fold or unfold the wings in less than 10 min.  With it on the trailer I can have it off, unfolded and preflighted in 12 min with 3/4 full tanks. a little longer if I top them off at the field.

Just me thinking out loud.

Paul

All good thoughts.  I'm just getting started ... awaiting kits.  Plenty of time to think it through.  I'll probably have to pick Chris' brains ...

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service