Anybody have experience with cortec vci373 primer that zenith refers to? I understand it only comes in a 5 gallon can.I would think I wouldn't need near that much. Thanks

Views: 701

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My 750 was built without any primer. I've been wondering if I should spray anything, preferably "fog" something that would find its way into tight spaces? I want to keep added weight to a minimum. Boeshield?

According to Zenith, one doesn't need to use anything because of the aluminum's inherent resistance to corrosion.

Comments?

Hi Wayne

I built my 701 without any coating as I do not live near salt water or heavy polution. No trace of corrosion after two years building and three years flying.

Regards,

Francois

Thanks François. I haven't even painted mine on the exterior.

Best,

Wayne

I used it on all interior surfaces.  Dries quickly, and is water based and easy to clean up.  It almost forms an ultra thin but rubbery coating which I was pleased with given that I live at the ocean. You can actually get it in quart sized containers from Zenith, I believe.  I used about a quart and a half on the whole plane.  

Call Zenith and ask for them to ship you some.  They sell it in quart-sized portions which I thinned with water (about 20%) as recommended by the Cortec instruction sheet.  I was able to paint all mated surfaces in my Zodiac using less than the quart can.

I agree with Jon and Douglas.

Very easy and non irritating product which seems to form a pretty tough film.

Order from Zenith before temps get below freezing...has a stated two year shelf life, and is relatively cheap.

thanks guys for all the feedback

A little additional information - normally most people prep the parts with Cortec and allow them to dry before assembly, but if you're in a hurry, you can even assemble mating surfaces while the Cortec film is still wet (verified this with Caleb at Zenith before he left), BUT you should only do this in a final-assembly situation. If mating surfaces are put together wet, when the Cortec dries it will make you think you glued the joint together! So, if you're planning to disassemble the pieces later,  the now-dried Cortec will give you grief when you try to pull the parts apart! Don't ask how I know!  :>(

John

N750A

How do you know?

Any thoughts on Boeshield (especially if one can protect fine electronics with it)? I bought some stuff at the marine parts store; I'll try to remember to check for the name when I go to the hangar tomorrow and post the name. On the other hand, maybe I'll just leave it bare.

Wayne

N750MV

PS: I'm going to start sticking on the STOLSPEED VGs tomorrow, after painting them on the cards with red vinyl paint. The double-sided sticky mounting cutouts are a tiny bit smaller than the VGs, but I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't matter. The manufacturer said it doesn't matter which way the VG at the wingtip points--did you find that to be true? Is there an aerodynamicist in the house?

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service